fossilsonwheels

Sold as Cretalamna, it is from the Tambov Region of Russian. Cenomanian. I found this to be an interesting tooth though I am not convinced the ID is accurate. @Chase_E has a gallery of teeth from this region and a couple of other locations from Cenomanian Russia. Using those posts as a guide, I believe the tooth may be a Cretoxyrhina, perhaps C. vraconensis. I see quite a bit of similarity with a couple of Chases teeth but I am using one as comparison in this post. I could be, and probably am, wrong about that assessment lol

Any input is welcomed !!

cretalamna.jpg

cretalamna1.jpg

cretalamna3.jpg

large.5e7fd18be73ad_CretoxyrhinaSp.1.jpeg.ef07ee40347d5a7bc023fc7ee222fc41.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I think you might be on to something. It does not look like other Cenomanian Cretolamna. Pictures of the Cenomanian Cretolamna catoxodon don't quite match. 

image.thumb.png.d0f3ecbb8d1fe65d6baf79222b479867.png

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I think you might be on to something. It does not look like other Cenomanian Cretolamna. Pictures of the Cenomanian Cretolamna catoxodon don't quite match. 

image.thumb.png.d0f3ecbb8d1fe65d6baf79222b479867.png

I agree. I checked out quite a few Cretalamna teeth and it matched none while I found several Russian Creoxyrhinas that are a really good match so that is the ID we will go with.