Jump to content
MrBones

How should I go about prepping this?

Recommended Posts

MrBones

Hello everyone!

I found this elephant tusk in the desert a few months ago, everything I find here is very brittle, and this is no exeption. I have already set the small unstable fragments with a very small layer of super glue. Should I use paraloid? I haven't been able to find any in this country, is there any other more common substance I can use (I've heard bad things from wood glue). I still want to remove some of the matrix, but I am unable to do so because of the fragility of the fossil.

Thanks in advance.20200508_115607.thumb.jpg.cef10117e8747bd4a4d0bb0faa5aa4c9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones

20200508_115614.thumb.jpg.d524f890fd4eff825e271f7e79b13a47.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco

Hi,

 

Where is your location : UAE ?

 

Can't help you.

 

Coco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hadrosauridae

I dont know what options are available for you, but paraloid, PVA, PVB would be a better option instead of coating it in superglue.  That looks extremely difficult and fragile and it definitely needs stabilization before beginning. 

 

Just be careful, because both superglue and consolidate will soak into the attached matrix also and make it harder to remove.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Pristis

Colorless nitro-cellulose cement, such as Duco brand, would be much better than superglue.  This cement is what is used to build plastic model airplanes, etc.  Dilute with acetone to use as a consolidant of last resort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

 

Where is your location : UAE ?

 

Can't help you.

 

Coco

Yes, I've searched in all the hardware stores but they don't seem to have any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

I dont know what options are available for you, but paraloid, PVA, PVB would be a better option instead of coating it in superglue.  That looks extremely difficult and fragile and it definitely needs stabilization before beginning. 

 

Just be careful, because both superglue and consolidate will soak into the attached matrix also and make it harder to remove.  

Yes, I only used the spuerglue on the places it was most needed to prevent the whole thing from crumbling up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco
5 hours ago, MrBones said:

Yes, I've searched in all the hardware stores but they don't seem to have any.

Sorry but I don't understand your answer ! I would like to know where you live ! "UAE" in your profile :zzzzscratchchin:

 

Coco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huntonia
13 minutes ago, Coco said:

Sorry but I don't understand your answer ! I would like to know where you live ! "UAE" in your profile :zzzzscratchchin:

 

Coco

I believe I can help with this, UAE stand for the United Arab Emirates, a small middle eastern country. Here it is on a map:

 

United-Arab-Emirates-boundaries-map-locator-cities.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Coco

Thanks Huntonia,  it’s very difficult to know where the members come from when they’re just initialing. For the United States I understand most states abbreviations but not for the rest of the world...

 

Coco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
3 hours ago, Coco said:

Thanks Huntonia,  it’s very difficult to know where the members come from when they’re just initialing. For the United States I understand most states abbreviations but not for the rest of the world...

 

Coco

I need to be more resposible in this field.  Sorry coco and others from places far away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
5 hours ago, Coco said:

Sorry but I don't understand your answer ! I would like to know where you live ! "UAE" in your profile :zzzzscratchchin:

 

Coco

Oh, sorry. I live in the the emirate of Abu Dhabi in the UAE (United Arab Emirates).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc

That is a very frightening prep job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
33 minutes ago, jpc said:

That is a very frightening prep job

Yes! It's been sitting on my desk for 6 months, but I'm too nervous to begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randyw

I have a question about that matrix. It looks like it may be a very soft matrix composed mainly of sand or am I looking at the pictures wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
6 minutes ago, Randyw said:

I have a question about that matrix. It looks like it may be a very soft matrix composed mainly of sand or am I looking at the pictures wrong?

The matrix is made up of mostly semi-hardened sand, and in the fossil itself there seems to be some gypsum, the soil here is very salty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randyw

That’s what I thought. I’d be afraid if you soaked this in anything it would dissolve and you’d be left with a million piece jigsaw puzzle. If this was my piece and I was trying to save it I would consider this a long term project. The biggest question is what kind of a restore are you attempting? Are you trying to keep it as is just remove some matrix and solidify? Or are you attempting to restore it to as close to original condition as possible? Wich you are planning will determine wich way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilNerd
8 hours ago, jpc said:

That is a very frightening prep job

Being an amateur, it looks pretty scary to me, but when a professional preper is frightened I really get nervous! 
 

@MrBones I think I would consolidate it and walk away. Looks like a hot mess! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:


 

@MrBones I think I would consolidate it and walk away. Looks like a hot mess! 

Honestly, I would too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caterpillar

It's a nightmare! The best thing to do is to find other of better quality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrBones
20 hours ago, caterpillar said:

It's a nightmare! The best thing to do is to find other of better quality

Well, I have only found this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×