Possible trackway?

DeepTimeIsotopes

Formation: Thaynes Fm. NOT Nugget Sandstone.

I’ve got a real brain puzzler here. I believe it is a trackway given the regular spacing and exact same prints but I don’t know what would have made it. I’ve put the north arrow to point out a third partial track. What do you think?

0A51D7C2-2834-47A7-9F0E-41EF26624536.jpeg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

79FA4BEC-D575-4F35-B4F1-7C2A8827C911.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

8 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Certainly looks like a partial trackway.

It looks too regular to be a coincidence of water or wind movement...:zzzzscratchchin:

49 minutes ago, DeepTimeIsotopes said:

It looks too regular to be a coincidence of water or wind movement...:zzzzscratchchin:

Tool (object in current) marks ? 

Just now, Rockwood said:

Tool (object in current) marks ? 

Maybe... but there isn’t many tools in this environment TO make marks.

1 hour ago, DeepTimeIsotopes said:

Formation: Nugget Sandstone

Slightly off-topic but that's an amazing formation name ;)

• I found this Informative 2

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

16 minutes ago, DeepTimeIsotopes said:

Over a thousand feet of sand and no tools got in the way ?

6 hours ago, DeepTimeIsotopes said:

It only takes one.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It appears my stratigraphy is mistaken, it is actually from the Thaynes Fm. Which is Early Triassic and it’s from East of Heber City, Utah

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Over a thousand feet of sand and no tools got in the way ?

I mean I’ve got my hammer and that certainly got in the way :ighappy:

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

It only takes one.

and I’m the lucky person that found it!:heartylaugh:

My stratigraphy was correct and this is the Nugget Sandstone mined from the American Stone Quarry in Heber City, Utah.

For future posterity, this "trackway" is indeed a trackway NOT tool marks. The ichnogenus is either Paleohelcura or Octopodichnus and is made by arachnids walking on dry to mildly damp sand dunes. Whether this is a scorpion or spider, it is not clear as they can make similar enough tracks to be indistinguishable.

From Sadler, (1993), my track appears to be Octopodichnus but the lack of a tail drag or evidence of a bifurcated foot makes it hard to pin a specific ichnogenus (Paleohelcura being the scorpionid track and Octopodichnus as the more general spider/scorpion trace). The number of legs varies per trace depending on how many legs the little critter had at the time of trace-making. Paleohelcura and Octopodichnus have been documented in the Nugget Sandstone from the American Stone Quarry (where this rock was collected from) as shown by Chure et al. (2014). and Good and Ekdale (2014).

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.35.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.34.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.15.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 4.08.00 PM.png

A FORGOTTEN COLLECTION OF VERTEBRATE AND INVERTEBRATE ICHNOFOSSILS FROM THE NUGGET SANDSTONE (?LATE TRIASSIC-?EARLY JURASSIC), NEAR HEBER, WASATCH COUNTY, UTAH.pdf

Arthropod Trace Fossils from the Permian De Chelly Sandstone, Northeastern Arizona.pdf

• I found this Informative 12

I cannot get the Sadler paper uploaded so here is the link.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1305992

PM me for the full pdf.

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Octopodichnus raymondi looks spot on IMHO. Very cool! :thumbsu:

That’s what I thought. I didn’t want to pin mine to a specific species as I am not a arachnid trace fossil expert but it’s incredibly similar. 

If you want to pin things down more, and are interested in ichnology, I recommend joining the Ichnology Facebook Group. It is made up of ichnologists and paleontologists from around the world. I have found them to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/12/2020 at 6:55 PM, DeepTimeIsotopes said:

For future posterity, this "trackway" is indeed a trackway NOT tool marks.

Who shall we say is qualified to inform posterity ?

37 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Who shall we say is qualified to inform posterity ?

Not that I disagree with the ID. I just prefer that posterity speak for itself.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Not that I disagree with the ID. I just prefer that posterity speak for itself.

Sorry my wording is a little weird. I was trying to find a precise but concise way to say ‘readers of this post who find markings that appear to be identical to the ones I found, it is currently understood that these structures are the tracks of arachnids rather than tool marks which they can be easily confused with.’ Is that better?