Decorah Shale Trilobite Cephalon???

minnbuckeye

Couldn't help myself yesterday and returned to an outcrop of the Decorah Shale, Ordovician in NE Iowa. Found many nice specimens.  (Adam, I may need to substitute some of my current finds with what is in your package) Here is something that perplexes me. I thought it was a partial trilobite cephalon/ genial spine but after looking at the species mentioned to occur in the formation, I struck out. Sooooo can anyone provide an identification? Thanks!!!!! 

Mike 

DSC_0284-001.thumb.JPG.bc2c820a0d5ae5947c138bde93c6c5aa.JPG

DSC_0285-001.thumb.JPG.4c62b6a06e0cf98d57d944c84ff8cea6.JPG

DSC_0287-001.JPG.bdb5b665380126161a5872d71f6df8e5.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

@piranha, Thanks!! Initially I considered the possibility of Ceraurinus species but discounted it because of the pits in the preglabellar field/ eye?. I thought Ceraurinus had bumps. I have since looked at examples from the Decorah Shale and see none that have the tiny nodules all the way down the genial spine nor the pits.  I am still confused. 

Mike

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@piranha, Thanks!! Initially I considered the possibility of Ceraurinus species but discounted it because of the pits in the preglabellar field/ eye?. I thought Ceraurinus had bumps. I have since looked at examples from the Decorah Shale and see none that have the tiny nodules all the way down the genial spine nor the pits.  I am still confused.

Ceraurinus cheeks are pitted:

"Ornaments of a different type, consisting of perforations of the test, have been noted in several species. Rather large perforations extend through the cheek lobes in Ceraurinus,
Pseudosphaerexinella and Holia. These are of a type long known and described in many species of Ceraurus and Ceraurinus."

image.thumb.png.ff64b5fadfe94130b49f657e6a12f94b.png

text from:

Evitt, William R. 1950

Trilobites from the Lower Lincolnshire Limestone near Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia.

PhD Thesis, The Johns Hopkins University, 392 pp.

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

The free cheek is large and the ornamentation is characteristic of Gabriceraurus herrmanni, which does occur in the Decorah.

• I found this Informative 3

39 minutes ago, GerryK said:

The free cheek is large and the ornamentation is characteristic of Gabriceraurus herrmanni, which does occur in the Decorah.

I looked at this one too quickly and did not account for the scale or the fact that is not a genal spine.  Gabriceraurus indeed! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

@piranha, @GerryKYour help is appreciated. My confusion on ID was based on assuming the pointed end was in fact a genial spine. Now, knowing the  piece showing in the matrix is anatomically a free cheek, your suggestions make sense!!!!