Help ID of Petrified plant/wood?

Sayitis

This piece was found in the same stream bed that I have collected petrified wood from. The area in south of the Dinosaur Park in Laurel MD, the stream runs though College Park MD and is close to areas where foot prints of Cretaceous dinosaurs have been found.   

P5080023DETAIL.jpg

P5080025TOP.jpg

P5080016Profile2.jpg

P5080017Profile3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That would be interesting, the area went though a lot of changes back and forth from bog to shore line. The reason I asked for help was that it didn't show any normal wood structure that I was familiar with. Sponge is a good start, thanks. 

I think I will stay in the plant kingdom with my sack of popped corn for now. :popcorn:

There does seem to be structure that you could call vessels and from the end it's clear that they are oriented up and down suggesting transport of nutrients. Missing is any sign of growth ring or rays. The cell/vessel structure is really interesting crisscrossing as they progress. Beats me.   

Palmoxylon can have a variety of appearances. I'm thinking perhaps that or another large monocot.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Rockwood. I'm out in AZ for some R&R collecting. I'll follow up and dig into monocot lead. 

• 4 weeks later...

Found another piece in nearly the same spot as the first one. As near as I can tell from on line search it's palm wood. Thanks Rockwood for pointing me in the right direction. 

petwood.MD.07.2020.jpg

That's a beautiful specimen -- I love plants.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Your second specimen looks to be nicely bored. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It's been a real enriching experience over time finding, mapping and trying to identify the pieces I've found. I've built mounts for some of the larger ones.  

P2120168.01.JPG

On 7/9/2020 at 5:37 PM, abyssunder said:

Your second specimen looks to be nicely bored. :)

You don't suppose the first one has been bored by fungal hyphae ? 

To my eye the detail on the end doe not show indication of several stems growing upward in more or less parallel. But your suggestion did prompt me to learn something new today , thank you.  

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I sliced the end off the specimens to get a better idea about the structure. Van Horn your suggestion that it might be tempskya wood may be the right one. It does seem to have features similar to those of other photo references I've found. The larger has the same external features so is likely the same type as the smaller one. 

PetWoodMD.PrinceGeorgesCo.Greenbelt.jpg

PetWoodMD.PrinceGeorgesCo.Greenbelt2.jpg

Rockwood

The surface morphology of the two are so similar would you agree they are probably both Tempskya? I'll have to add these to my treaties on Greenbelt petrified wood.