Cataloging my Sharkteeth

Darktooth

I have recently been inspired to finally make a serious attempt to organize and catalog my sharktooth collection. I made an attempt years ago but never finished it and I sabotaged my own work by not being able to keep from playing with my fossils. Ever since I started collecting sharkteeth I have used the gem jars with trays for smaller teeth and padded jewelry boxes for the bigger teeth. My first attempt was applying small stickers with specimen info on the bottom of the gem jars. This was fine except for the fact that back then I was always taking the teeth out of their respective jars and putting them back in the wrong ones. Or I kept changing which trays I would put certain teeth from certain locales in. I realize that the only way to have a nice organized collection is to do just that- organize it and KEEP IT THAT WAY! I recently bought a couple new gem jar trays to replace the ones that the foam has yellowed with age. These new trays have a glass lid that covers the top of the whole tray and these are now going to be kept in the new cabinet that I bought a couple months back. So tonight I put new labels on all of the new gem jars I put the abbreviated locale info, with a number on each sticker. On a piece of paper I wrote down the corresponding information like so.......

20200509_191718.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Eventually I will sit down at the computer and have all the info printed  out instead of hand written but atleast I got it started. Next I want to make some labeles from the matrix pieces that I recieved from Caldigger as well as labels for my bigger teeth in floating frames. Here are the new trays.

20200509_210134.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I do need to buy some more trays when I have the money.

20200509_210145.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here is an old tray that has turned yellow.

20200509_210640.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I know it’s a pain at first but very worth the effort. I’ve also found it an on-going chore lol

• I found this Informative 1

Wow! Looks great. Will you be putting labels on the teeth in the gem jars?

The labels are on the bottom of each gem jar

4 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Wow! Looks great. Will you be putting labels on the teeth in the gem jars?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

7 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I know it’s a pain at first but very worth the effort. I’ve also found it an on-going chore lol

Yeah I did not have fun doing it, but mostly because I have been in a funk lately. I need to get motivated to do more. It seems that once i get home from work i dont want to do anything but sit on the couch.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I told my boys that tomorrow we are going to get started organizing and labeling their collection before I forget the information that goes with their stuff.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I really like the look of the gem jars in the cases! Do you have things that aren’t in gem jars or cases that you’ll be labeling? If so, how are you going about it? I, also, have let my labeling habits get away from me. Great job on getting it in order again!

9 hours ago, Praefectus said:

I was wondering if labels were going on the front also. 

No, I will not put them on the front as I dont want to block the teeth from viewing. Also I don't want to have to open up the gem jars to be able to look at the teeth. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

9 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I really like the look of the gem jars in the cases! Do you have things that aren’t in gem jars or cases that you’ll be labeling? If so, how are you going about it? I, also, have let my labeling habits get away from me. Great job on getting it in order again!

I have plenty of things that are not in gem jars that need to get labeled. I have bigger teeth in floating frames. These I will put a small piece of paper in between the silicon membrane with a similar catalog number as with the jars. Then there are loose items that I need to figure out what I am going to do with. Here is just a small example of stuff.

20200510_090324.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I have plenty of things that are not in gem jars that need to get labeled. I have bigger teeth in floating frames. These I will put a small piece of paper in between the silicon membrane with a similar catalog number as with the jars. Then there are loose items that I need to figure out what I am going to do with. Here is just a small example of stuff.

20200510_090324.jpg

It sounds like you’re off to a great start! I need to get myself in gear and start doing the same. Most of my stuff is loose though, so I’m not sure how I’ll approach that either.

1 minute ago, thelivingdead531 said:

It sounds like you’re off to a great start! I need to get myself in gear and start doing the same. Most of my stuff is loose though, so I’m not sure how I’ll approach that either.

I think that I am going to purchase a bunch of jewelry boxes with padding for items that will not fit in other display methods. Then put a label in the bottom of the box under the padding. I also have some riker display that I need to utilize. It is definitely a slow process. But I will post my progress as I get things done.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

33 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

The floating frames look great! Really nice!

Thank-you, I just finished labeling them. I decided to put the labels in between the silicone membranes. Unfortunately the membranes do not hold the thin labels well on there own, so I applied a bit of tape on the backside, to keep them from sliding around.

20200510_140849.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here was my first attempt. I tried to put a small amount of tape on the front off the label. It looked like snarge. The tape was way too noticeable.

20200510_140059.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Here are some more.

20200510_141604.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice.

I really must get my stuff properly sorted. 

The gem jars in trays like that look really good.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great idea putting label in floating frame.  I am going to to that with mine.