Micro print fossils

Gully.moy

Found sifting through little flinty pebbles on South Isle of Wight beaches

First, which I am most interested in, was actually found by my landlord. He just picked it up saying "a stone in a stone" but I noticed some striations coming out of the hole. So took it home and pulled the smaller stone out and you can see a teardrop shaped impression with radial striation and pimple markings. Impression is 10mm long by 6mm wide.

WIN_20200510_09_45_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200510_09_46_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200510_09_48_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200510_09_49_55_Pro.jpg

Second is just a band of tiny circlish markings 3.5x2mm.

WIN_20200510_09_55_20_Pro.jpg

Third is a little hole with vertical ridges, probably nothing. 4.5x2.5mm

WIN_20200510_10_01_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200510_10_02_27_Pro.jpg

And finally a nice echinoid print. I've found something similar years ago and someone posted an even more similar picture of a Temnocidaris species so I'm sure that it's something like that. Area of clearest three circles 6.5x4mm

WIN_20200510_09_50_46_Pro.jpg

Edited by Gully.moy
Echinoid Dims

Hard to be sure but the first one could be a Tylocidaris spine, or possibly a neat little sponge, something along the lines of Aulaxinia

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Cool! Both look like great suggestions. Got to say "Tylocidaris spine" had me a touch excited that I may have a funky vertebra, haha. But an urchin spine is great too and nice to couple with the echinoid shell print. I am leaning towards the spine as more likely than the sponge because:

1. The striations are very straight and regular with no wobble as I see in a quick Google of Aulaxinia species
  2. The pimples are set into the host stone suggesting they stuck out of the original mould organism

Thanks a lot for the help! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

I struggled a little getting a clear photo, but in person the print is quite clear. I just found a very similar one on Flickr listed as an echinoid spine, also possibly Tylocidaris:

Fossil sea urchin (echinoid) spine : (Tylocidaris?) : negative impression in flint

• I found this Informative 1