Paulding vs. Sylvania Ohio for trilobites?

jort68

Hey everyone!!

:ptero:

I'm writing in to see if anybody has a preference between Paulding fossil garden and Sylvania fossil park for finding trilobites. There is a spot at the header of this entry which nobody else has talked about that might yield some gems. Posts about Paulding seem like hit or miss trilobite presence. Which site would be more "picked over" do you think, if you do at all? I'm driving through Ohio soon and can only stop at one spot. Trilobites and microfossils are my priority and all else would be a great bonus. 

If anyone cares to weigh in I would greatly appreciate it - I don't know where to start!

Thanks,

Justin

The fossil park at Sylvania is heavily picked over from what I've read. I never bothered to go. You can't use any tools and are limited to surface collecting. The Paulding spot is much better. I don't think it has been refreshed in a while but there is a lot of material to look through. Complete trilobites are not easy to find there, but there are Eldredgeops rana fragments everywhere. Here is a shot I took while there a year ago. It's a fun place.

IMG_5678.thumb.JPG.11d30ed01d3f272b3f4d081c10948d81.JPG

• I found this Informative 3