Tiger Shark Display

Praefectus

I had some time to organize my tiger shark tooth collection. I started collecting them around two years ago with the goal of creating an evolutionary set. At this point, I think the collection is almost complete. It contains teeth from Galeocerdo and Physogaleus. I think I have all the major species, there are just a few localities that I'm missing (The north american G. eaglesomi is being troublesome to find). I put the nicer teeth into a riker display and made some labels for them. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 

20200510_155520.thumb.jpg.9b13cda71d6655953adea3fa44517ce2.jpg

20200510_155636.thumb.jpg.7dbd90f8f10d031410c5d7c3d73926f5.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Very nice collection! The bone valley tigers have great colors!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Do you have a Galeocerdo casei?

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

3 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

Do you have a Galeocerdo casei?

I do not. I haven't been able to find much on G. casei. I think some authors regard it as synonymous with G. mayumbensis (or maybe some form of early variant). 

I love the display ! Very nice. Do you have any Galeocerdo from STH ?

18 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I love the display ! Very nice. Do you have any Galeocerdo from STH ?

Not yet. I have a few beat up ones from the last time I was there. I would like to add some nice examples to the display. 

7 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Not yet. I have a few beat up ones from the last time I was there. I would like to add some nice examples to the display. 

I can send you a couple. PM your address if you want. 

Great display!  You encouraged me to look thru my collection and I'm guessing these would be Physogaleus secundus, Giant Cement Mine, Harleyville S.C.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.19.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-10 at 9.18.02 PM.png

• I found this Informative 2

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

@Gizmo I believe those are P. secundus. I have the tooth below from Harleyville that I also think might also be P. secundus. I was going to post it under fossil ID. I'm not sure because I think G. latidens uppers and lowers have different shapes. 

20200510_203311.jpg.f33666d27ba7e5910448c853805eeee9.jpg

20 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

@Gizmo I believe those are P. secundus. I have the tooth below from Harleyville that I also think might also be P. secundus. I was going to post it under fossil ID. I'm not sure because I think G. latidens uppers and lowers have different shapes. 

20200510_203311.jpg.f33666d27ba7e5910448c853805eeee9.jpg

Thanks, I'm also wondering what's the difference is between casei and aduncas. I looked them up and they look very similar to me, maybe I'm missing something.

Aduncas on the left.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 10.12.15 PM.png

6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Thanks, I'm also wondering what's the difference is between casei and aduncas. I looked them up and they look very similar to me, maybe I'm missing something.

Aduncas on the left.

Galeocerdo casei is larger, thicker, has complex serrations, the medial edge of the crown usually is more erect and angular versus rounded in anterior teeth. Galeocerdo casei is most likely the same tooth as Galeocerdo mayumbensis. Both are mid-Oligocene to early Miocene.

Galeocerdo latidens and Galeocerdo eaglesomei might also be the same species. A recent paper argued that some published accounts of latidens are probably lateral eaglesomei teeth. Also, some consider Galeocerdo aduncus and Physogaleus contortus to be the same species, that they represent upper and lower teeth that should be called Physogaleus aduncus.

54 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Galeocerdo latidens and Galeocerdo eaglesomei might also be the same species. A recent paper argued that some published accounts of latidens are probably lateral eaglesomei teeth. Also, some consider Galeocerdo aduncus and Physogaleus contortus to be the same species, that they represent upper and lower teeth that should be called Physogaleus aduncus.

I was aware of the debate over if Galeocerdo aduncus and Physogaleus contortus were the same. I don't think it will be resolved until a complete jaw is found. 

Can you send me the paper discussing Galeocerdo latidens and Galeocerdo eaglesomi? Is it arguing that the North American Galeocerdo eaglesomi is same a Galeocerdo latidens? The Moroccan Galeocerdo eaglesomi should be different enough to be classified as a different species.  

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Galeocerdo casei is larger, thicker, has complex serrations, the medial edge of the crown usually is more erect and angular versus rounded in anterior teeth. Galeocerdo casei is most likely the same tooth as Galeocerdo mayumbensis. Both are mid-Oligocene to early Miocene.

Thanks for the info. The only mayumbensis I've found are from Bone Valley in Florida. I thought those deposits were mid Miocene to Pliocene.

7 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Is it arguing that the North American Galeocerdo eaglesomi is same a Galeocerdo latidens? The Moroccan Galeocerdo eaglesomi should be different enough to be classified as a different species.

Here's a link to the paper- https://europeanjournaloftaxonomy.eu/index.php/ejt/article/view/819

Galeocerdo eaglesomei was first described by White from teeth found in Nigeria. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 4:11 AM, Gizmo said:

Thanks for the info. The only mayumbensis I've found are from Bone Valley in Florida. I thought those deposits were mid Miocene to Pliocene.

Hi Gizmo,

The lowermost layers of the Bone Valley appear to be Early-Middle Miocene based on the oldest land mammals found in that part.  I have seen teeth of early species of Merychippus or Merychippus-like horses from there and those are found in earliest Barstovian-age deposits around North America - roughly 17 million years old.  The oldest marine fossils from the Upper Bone Valley would also be around that age.  That happens to be about the time of the most recently-occurring G. mayombensis teeth.  I've seen mayumbensis from Gainesville and from Peace River.  Keep in mind that the Peace River teeth have also been said to have come from the Bone Valley Formation.

Jess 

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Gizmo,

The lowermost layers of the Bone Valley appear to be Early-Middle Miocene based on the oldest land mammals found in that part.  I have seen teeth of early species of Merychippus or Merychippus-like horses from there and those are found in earliest Barstovian-age deposits around North America - roughly 17 million years old.  The oldest marine fossils from the Upper Bone Valley would also be around that age.  That happens to be about the time of the most recently-occurring G. mayombensis teeth.  I've seen mayumbensis from Gainesville and from Peace River.  Keep in mind that the Peace River teeth have also been said to have come from the Bone Valley Formation.

Jess 

Thanks for the info Jess, They've also been found but I don't believe described in the Calvert formation, extremely rare!

On 6/6/2020 at 10:55 PM, Gizmo said:

Thanks for the info Jess, They've also been found but I don't believe described in the Calvert formation, extremely rare!

Hi Gizmo,

I believe it.  The Calvert covers the chronologic range and the Early to Middle Miocene was a very warm interval globally.  Today, tropical species do venture farther north out of their normal comfort zones during unusually warm summers so it follows that it also happened occasionally in the past  especially when there was an overall warming trend.

Jess