Earth Could Plunge Into Sudden Ice Age

fig rocks

In the film, "The Day After Tomorrow," the world gets gripped in ice within the span of just a few weeks. Now research now suggests an eerily similar event might indeed have occurred in the past. My link :)

I'm driving to New Jersey with lbs of rock salt tomorrow.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Hay F.R. if you didn't hear the weather forecast

I think it will happen in the next three days

It was nice knowing you, see you when I melt :wacko:

Modeling the dilution of the ocean warm water 'conveyor belts' does suggest strong consequences for the global climate, but the statement: "If the Greenland ice sheet melted suddenly it would be catastrophic" overlooks the fact that it would take an enormous amount of energy to melt that much ice. Enough to do so that quickly would probably wipe-out life on earth before the climate had a chance to react.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hay F.R. if you didn't hear the weather forecast

I think it will happen in the next three days

It was nice knowing you, see you when I melt :wacko:

Ya, they're forecasting blizzard conditions with 9" of snow and -31C for tomorrow night up here! :coldb: :coldb: :coldb: :cold:

Ya, they're forecasting blizzard conditions with 9" of snow and -31C for tomorrow night up here! :coldb: :coldb: :coldb: :cold:

Holy snarge, light a fire fig!!!

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

I heard that ammolite is actually frozen flames...any truth to that? :P

I also heard that y'all have two seasons: winter, and three weeks of bad skiing...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

which forecast do you look at? The weather office says -7C for Edmonton tommorow night.

AccuWeather for Red Deer -31 with the wind chill! :coldb:

I also heard that y'all have two seasons: winter, and three weeks of bad skiing...

We really have Winter and Stamped Week :D

AccuWeather for Red Deer -31 with the wind chill! :coldb:

Weather warning from Edmonton and all the way down south

who know what is happen in Montana I guess they will just have to cozy up to the dog:hair:

Well, the Flames is Calgary's hockey team.... so maybe? :hocky:

And I wouldn't say we have that many weeks of bad skiing! :cold:

Guest solius symbiosus

Modeling the dilution of the ocean warm water 'conveyor belts' does suggest strong consequences for the global climate, but the statement: "If the Greenland ice sheet melted suddenly it would be catastrophic" overlooks the fact that it would take an enormous amount of energy to melt that much ice. Enough to do so that quickly would probably wipe-out life on earth before the climate had a chance to react.

You know it! I saw the press release for this last week, and my skeptical alarm bells started ringing, immediately. The researchers studied the sediments from one locality in Ireland, and then attempt to extrapolate their data to a global model??? Multiple ice cores from Greenland refute the conclusion that the cooling happened in mere months.

Too, to allay fears of catastrophic temperature change(if there are any), the Earth couldn't undergo that type of change, today. The cooling then was caused by the rapid drainage of Lake Agazzi into the Atlantic.

There are no lakes anywhere near the size of Agazzi, today. And, there are no cold water lakes of any size, that I am aware of, that are in imminent danger of releasing their contents.

i'm more worried about having to go out today in this weather. it's in the low 40's! :coldb: :coldb: :coldb:

Ya, it got to -15 here last night; the high temp for sat/sun was originally 3 degrees, with low temps approaching -15-20, but now it looks like it'll stay in the 20's and teens. The coldest I've ever experienced in Bozeman was december 2005; for 5 days, the highest temperature in the daytime was -12, and at night the temp got down to ~ -25-30, and one evening when my girlfriend's car got stuck in a snowbank 1/3 of a mile from my apartment (which we had to walk through, at 11pm, with light sweathshirts and a single hat which I let her borrow, oh and no gloves) it was approx. -45 with windchill.

I don't think I've anything colder than -25 w/ windchill since then, but then again, the next two weeks have a pretty good chance.

Bobby

Back in the 80's and early 90's it always got down below -40 up here in Alberta. Now were lucky, if you can call it that, to see -30 for a day or two. The coldest I ever saw was -47C and that's without windchill

Back in the 80's and early 90's it always got down below -40 up here in Alberta. Now were lucky, if you can call it that, to see -30 for a day or two. The coldest I ever saw was -47C and that's without windchill

When I was nine years old, 1969, the temperature on our SW Missouri farm was -24 one morning. That is the coldest temperature I've ever seen. The coldest I've seen since (I live 25 miles from there now) was -11.

That's Fahrenheit to the rest of the world! :D I guess that translates to what, -24 Celsius? Or close?

When my husband was a kid in the mid 60's he lived in Peace River (Alberta) and he said one Saturday morning when he got up it was -61F with no wind chill. He said the tires on the cars were flat on the bottom and in the ones that would run it felt like you were driving on square wheels! :wacko: :coldb:

When I was nine years old, 1969, the temperature on our SW Missouri farm was -24 one morning. That is the coldest temperature I've ever seen. The coldest I've seen since (I live 25 miles from there now) was -11.

That's Fahrenheit to the rest of the world! :D I guess that translates to what, -24 Celsius? Or close?

yes -24 celsius and -40 is -40 no matter where you are.

Sounds like the west.

Here we have Winter, RAIN, and road construction.

When my husband was a kid in the mid 60's he lived in Peace River (Alberta) and he said one Saturday morning when he got up it was -61F with no wind chill. He said the tires on the cars were flat on the bottom and in the ones that would run it felt like you were driving on square wheels! :wacko: :coldb:

CRIKEYS! that's -78F