River Fossil England?

Katieellenj

Hello, I was walking by a river in Cheadle (Manchester England), when I found this - I thought that perhaps it is a fossilised bird egg and my son and I were very excited that we had potentially found something quite old? I would be very grateful if anyone could give more information - I did a bit of digging myself but only managed to become more confused. My 10-year-old and his mummy would be very grateful if you could share a bit of knowledge and expertise. Thank you! 

thumbnail_Image[1].jpg

thumbnail_Image-1[1].jpg

thumbnail_Image-3[1].jpg

Welcome to the forum! Not a fossil I'm afraid but a broken flint nodule derived from the Chalk (Cretaceous period). There's no Chalk in the area now but there is a lot of residual flint in glacial deposits from the last ice age - glaciers stripped most of the Chalk covering from northern England and Scotland.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Ahh, not as exciting... Thank you for replying, it is much appreciated! 

5 hours ago, Katieellenj said:

Ahh, not as exciting... Thank you for replying, it is much appreciated! 

I think I would have picked it up and kept it. It is an interesting specimen. A good find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yet it's still quite old, even older than some fossils since it is from the Cretaceous period. 

Edited by molydeii

Thank you ... seb was very excited that he found something so old. We will keep hunting!