Dimetrodon tooth?

thelivingdead531

I’ve been trying to research and go through previous posts all morning, but I still need help. Can this be confirmed as a Dimetrodon tooth or just as Sphenacodontidae? The seller states that it’s from the Ryan formation and found near Waurika, Oklahoma. It appears to be around 1/4 inch long. I know the photos aren’t the best, but all of the sellers photos are pretty terrible. I can definitely see serrations on the tooth. If anyone can help shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it. I know @Bobby Rico has a slight obsession with Dimetrodons, so maybe he can weigh in. ;)

1402299D-8D82-4738-84F6-3170D8CEDBB2.jpeg

26A1C217-1A33-4C2D-8345-E6C16BDED8D4.jpeg

7EBFBD48-40A7-4E10-A70B-9AC09E7F2FF9.jpeg

3DE4C4DF-ECBD-40B5-AF63-21E70E411913.jpeg

B56D1E2B-1CCA-4E7E-BB34-DB18AA35FF57.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice tooth! I can't really help, but I'll tag one of our Dimetrodon folks to give his input @dinodigger

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Nice tooth! I can't really help, but I'll tag one of our Dimetrodon folks to give his input @dinodigger

Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, dinodigger said:

Beautiful little Dimetrodon postcanine!!

So it can definitely be attributed to Dimetrodon?

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I know @Bobby Rico has a slight obsession with Dimetrodons, so maybe he can weigh in. ;)

Slight?

He's been bonkers about them since he was a nipper. 

i think he'd quite like to be Dimetrodon. :P

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Slight?

He's been bonkers about them since he was a nipper. 

i think he'd quite like to be Dimetrodon. :P

Haha! I know, I was downplaying his obsession. Not a bad thing to be obsessed about though, they are really cool animals.

• I found this Informative 3

@thelivingdead531 @Tidgy's Dad haha both  your posts cheered me up today. Bonkers is such a nice world and very fitting to describe my love for them sail backed reptiles. Adam is right my sister gave me this book I when I was about 5years old and it started then when I’ve seen this beautiful painting by Zdenek Burian . 

A lovely  tooth and exactly like the one Doren gave to me a couple of years ago . Also dinosigger is the man so you can take his world for it. I hope you do get it and then you will  join the Dimetrodon sailing club :default_rofl:  

good luck Bobby 

Prehistoric animals and plants 

by Zdenek Burian and Josef Benes

126E1848-3B2C-4DF0-86BE-B11D879555A2.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

A lovely  tooth and exactly like the one Doren gave to me a couple of years ago . Also dinosigger is the man so you can take his world for it. I hope you do get it and then you will  join the Dimetrodon sailing club :default_rofl:  

Thank you for the advice! I went searching for posts of your tooth for comparison and they do look exactly alike! After dinodigger’s reply I decided to purchase it, so hopefully it’ll be here by the end of the month! I’m honored to have my foot in the door to the exclusive and regal Dimetrodon Sailing Club. :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 2

30 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you for the advice! I went searching for posts of your tooth for comparison and they do look exactly alike! After dinodigger’s reply I decided to purchase it, so hopefully it’ll be here by the end of the month! I’m honored to have my foot in the door to the exclusive and regal Dimetrodon Sailing Club. :tiphat:

Hmmmm.

I hate not being part of a cool club. 

I'll have to look around for one of those teeth myself! ;)

Twas one of my faves as a rugrat as well. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmmm.

I hate not being part of a cool club. 

I'll have to look around for one of those teeth myself! ;)

Twas one of my faves as a rugrat as well. 

Join us, Adam.          :D

9356A795-EC59-4942-8D6D-E770DFCFFA97.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

11 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Join us, Adam.          :D

:o

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Definitely a ddon, its lovely. Fluting around the base is a primitive characteristic. Specimen is from OK probably? Our guys in texas a few million years younger. Have lost the fluting and have become larger and more robust.

14 minutes ago, dinodigger said:

Definitely a ddon, its lovely. Fluting around the base is a primitive characteristic. Specimen is from OK probably? Our guys in texas a few million years younger. Have lost the fluting and have become larger and more robust.

Thank you so much! It was listed as being found in OK. Is it possible to narrow down to a species?

1 hour ago, dinodigger said:

Apologies to bump in on this thread. Super tooth @thelivingdead531

@dinodigger you seem to know your stuff. I have this rooted tooth. It was assigned as a dimetrodon, however someone has queried it being another Permian mammal. Curious on your thoughts 

32305372-5249-4E30-BAB3-E2737444CDB7.jpeg

6C7F0DFA-B478-4FD4-BEB2-A6FB14073FB4.jpeg

Wow beautiful!! Yes, a great rooted Dimetrodon post canine. 

17 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you so much! It was listed as being found in OK. Is it possible to narrow down to a species?

Dimetrodon limbatus would be my first guess- but lemme do some checking.

17 minutes ago, dinodigger said:

Wow beautiful!! Yes, a great rooted Dimetrodon post canine. 

Awesome thanks 

2 hours ago, dinodigger said:

Dimetrodon limbatus would be my first guess- but lemme do some checking.

I would appreciate that very much. :)