PrehistoricWonders

Hi, I’m hoping to get to big brook or ramanessin brook this week and was wondering which I would have a better chance at finding a mosasaur tooth, and, if there are any other places I’d have better chance at finding one?

Neither will provide a good chance of finding a mosasaur tooth. They are uncommon and you have to go many times before you would likely find one. I still think either would be totally worth it. I almost always find something noteworthy whichever stream I'm hunting. 

Agreed with @Jeffrey P

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

16 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Neither will provide a good chance of finding a mosasaur tooth. They are uncommon and you have to go many times before you would likely find one. I still think either would be totally worth it. I almost always find something noteworthy whichever stream I'm hunting. 

OK Jeffrey, now you've gone and jinxed it...They will go and find handfuls of mosasaur teeth and prove us all wrong....

@Familyroadtrip I must agree with all previous comments on paucity of mosasaur teeth. Awhile ago, I calculated that in my own experience it takes about ~20 hours of sifting or ~10 hours of surface collecting (with no previous person having already walked the gravel bar), on average, to get a mosasaur tooth in New Jersey. You could get lucky and find one in your first sift or first hour collecting but usually it takes much longer, frustratingly longer to consistently find them. Anyway, good luck; going many times will increase the likelihood of finding a mosasaur tooth. Please post your finds it you do go.

: )

Thanks for the replies! I think I’m going to Ramanessin Brook on Friday. 

I ended up going to Ramanessin yesterday, and need help with Identifying this tooth. 
my best guess is an enchodus fang.

ACE92B45-3088-4DEE-BDD9-F268E313CF6B.jpeg

That’s a good guess. Or maybe even a SWAG. The photo is good for having the coin for scale but it is hard to read the texture. Also tooth ID often requires an end view showing the cross section. Round, oval, lenticular, etc. help with ID. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah it’s Enchodus

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

5 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Thoughts?

Some patience required. ;)

Not everyone can spend all day on a weekend on the Forum. :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...