FossilNerd

I was able to get out and hunt a new Ordovician spot today. A full trip report is coming, but I’m too curious about this one to wait. ;) 

In the field I grabbed this thinking it was a large trilobite genal spine. After getting it home and doing some quick cleaning and research, I am less convinced. I’m not even sure that any trilobite from this time period/formation would have spines this size (still researching).

From a quick glance at a Kentucky Geological Map it looks like I was in the Grant Lake Limestone (Upper Ordovician). 

I’m probably way off base here. Trilobites (and bits) are barely in my wheelhouse. What do you all think?

4FD4A63D-A4CF-4B5E-A58F-C6471F2D52A1.thumb.jpeg.e6125ced0e7e460f96ccde5428bec812.jpeg

3C4D9716-F876-456F-AE58-D68C6251080D.thumb.jpeg.65a044bc39237cade40bd2d54f577e16.jpeg

I have outlined the general shape of the whole specimen in the below photo as it is obscured by overlying matrix, and a brach, towards the wider end. It has striations running the length and is flat for the most part, but the inside of the “spine” appears to be more rounded. 

8A33118E-D576-4DCF-9852-CA73FCF21891.thumb.jpeg.dd08e0cd65211baa12f5e7eb861df455.jpeg

Edited by FossilNerd
Spelling correction
  • I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hmm I don't think this is a genal spine. Those sort of striations as well as the general shape doesn't say trilobite to me, though I could be wrong. I feel like I used to know what type of fossils these are but I've forgotten. Still a neat piece in any case.

• I found this Informative 1

I think it may be a solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

Oh, and it's genal not genial. 

You're rather genial but the spine probably isn't, not  in any real way. :P

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

21 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think it may be a solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

Oh, and it's genal not genial. 

You're rather genial but the spine probably isn't, not  in any real way. :P

:DOH: Thanks Adam. That’s what I get for trying to spell at midnight!

A solitary rugose did cross my mind, but with it being flat, I wasn’t sure. I can see the edge. There doesn’t appear to be any depth to it at all. Just one thin flat piece. Maybe the outer wall of the coralite?

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Isotelus cephalic doublure:

image.thumb.png.15d0928673f1c668e983c2e632bc7da2.png

Rudkin, D.M., Tripp, Ronald P. 1989

The Type Species of the Ordovician Trilobite Genus Isotelus: I. gigas Dekay, 1824.

Royal Ontario Museum, Life Sciences Contributions, 152:1-19  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 9

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

32 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Hmm I don't think this is a genal spine. Those sort of striations as well as the general shape doesn't say trilobite to me, though I could be wrong.

You are probably right. I don’t find trilobites very often, and don’t have much more than general knowledge of a select few.

There you go. 

I was horribly wrong. 

Scott to the rescue again. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, piranha said:

Isotelus cephalic doublure:

That’s it!
Scott. You sir, have just made my day (well night...)! Thank you very much! :thumbsu:

2 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

You are probably right. I don’t find trilobites very often, and don’t have much more than general knowledge of a select few.

There is much much to learn. Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it I'm surprised again. Case and point just now! I'm ever astounded by pirahna's seemingly infinite knowledge on the topic. 

Congratulations cool find!:thumbsu:

2 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

There is much much to learn. Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it I'm surprised again. Case and point just now! I'm ever astounded by pirahna's seemingly infinite knowledge on the topic. 

Congratulations cool find!:thumbsu:

That’s one reason why I love fossils. There is always something  to learn! Never a dull moment! :) 

Thanks @Huntonia @Tidgy's Dad @piranha for the help. It is much appreciated! 

Good find, Wayne, and great that you were able to get out! In material like that, if it's caramel brown, it merits a second look. Some of those Isotelus could get to some very impressive sizes, but finding them intact as opposed to fragments is a challenge. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

44 minutes ago, Kane said:

Good find, Wayne, and great that you were able to get out! In material like that, if it's caramel brown, it merits a second look. Some of those Isotelus could get to some very impressive sizes, but finding them intact as opposed to fragments is the challenge. 

Thanks Kane! It was some much needed “me time”. :) 

I have found a few other suspiciously buggy, caramel brown, bits and pieces before in the Upper Ordovician of the Cincinnati Arch, but nothing this large, and nothing that would have any kind of certainty in an identification, other than possible trilobite fragment. I’m definitely happy with this one!