How do you organize your collection?

MrBones

Hello all,

I am running into a problem with organising my finds. Should I group them based on type, or specific location found? What should I include on their labels (I don't want to write on the fossils, so I place them on top of a piece of paper that states name, location, age ect.) Any additional information would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever is most comfortable; or easier for you to reference to. 

For me, I group them with the type of fossil they are (shark teeth) then by location (Calvert) and finally species (Mako). So Calvert makos will be next to each other and grouped, but near to my other makos in a drawer with shark teeth.

• I found this Informative 2

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I must admit I usually organise my collection in 3 ways. 

The most common usually is by location, I have separate displays with all my White River Formation fossils, Hell Creek Fossils, Kem Kem Beds Fossil, Khouribga Fossils, Fossils from the Maastrichtian type location, Florida Ice-age fossils, Eurasian Ice-age fossils, and so on... 
5ebae5e5ebbdd_158884619369550119(12).jpg.53d61fe02a1240f41b7642c5df058e1c.jpg

If I don't have enough fossils from a location to organise by, I usually display them by age. I have for instance a display with my Triassic fossils, one for my Permian fossils and even wider a display with my various Mesozoïc fossils, Paleozoïc fossils and Cenozoïc fossils.

5ebae5e722394_158884619369550119(16).jpg.ced891c4c827162f6067795d6e71658f.jpg

And there are a few cases where I just organise by type like I do with shark teeth and ammonites which I usually display all together, without any regard for their locality or age.

5ebae5e83faeb_158884619369550119(26).jpg.1540081dd42dd5fa9aabdd5f6b5f525a.jpg

But in the end, you pick what you feel most comfortable with :) 

• I found this Informative 4

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

8 minutes ago, ziggycardon said:

I must admit I usually organise my collection in 3 ways. 

The most common usually is by location, I have separate displays with all my White River Formation fossils, Hell Creek Fossils, Kem Kem Beds Fossil, Khouribga Fossils, Fossils from the Maastrichtian type location, Florida Ice-age fossils, Eurasian Ice-age fossils, and so on... 
5ebae5e5ebbdd_158884619369550119(12).jpg.53d61fe02a1240f41b7642c5df058e1c.jpg

If I don't have enough fossils from a location to organise by, I usually display them by age. I have for instance a display with my Triassic fossils, one for my Permian fossils and even wider a display with my various Mesozoïc fossils, Paleozoïc fossils and Cenozoïc fossils.

5ebae5e722394_158884619369550119(16).jpg.ced891c4c827162f6067795d6e71658f.jpg

And there are a few cases where I just organise by type like I do with shark teeth and ammonites which I usually display all together, without any regard for their locality or age.

5ebae5e83faeb_158884619369550119(26).jpg.1540081dd42dd5fa9aabdd5f6b5f525a.jpg

But in the end, you pick what you feel most comfortable with :) 

Great variety! We often travel, and I find little things all over the place. I will think about which one is more convenient.

"How do you organize your collection?"

I organize by "natural order".  That is: the heavier boxes and buckets go on bottom, the lighter ones on top.  The older aquisitions are piled in the back of the garage, the newer ones progress toward the front.  When something topples over, it sometimes starts an avalanche that introduces a bit of "entropy" into the "natural order".  It's a scientifically derived organization system.  :default_rofl:

• I found this Informative 8

34 minutes ago, grandpa said:

"How do you organize your collection?"

I organize by "natural order".  That is: the heavier boxes and buckets go on bottom, the lighter ones on top.  The older aquisitions are piled in the back of the garage, the newer ones progress toward the front.  When something topples over, it sometimes starts an avalanche that introduces a bit of "entropy" into the "natural order".  It's a scientifically derived organization system.  :default_rofl:

:heartylaugh:

All things transform to entropy without energy input.  Sounds like you need some energy input to restore enthalpy :)

Mine are all crammed on a shelf at my dads in England.

When travel restrictions are lifted, I hope to bring them back over to Taiwan with me and display them properly.

I will either probably display by era and area. Cretaceous UK, Jurassic US, Cretaceous Morocco etc. 

Only drawback with that approach ... my Niger display  will consist of one solitary tooth and my France display is even more barren with a tiny pyroraptor eggshell lol

16 hours ago, grandpa said:

Disorderly organized. I love it. :thumbsu:

Tom

• I found this Informative 1

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

@MrBones

Here are photos to show how I've chosen to organize my fossils...

DSC01338.thumb.JPG.64c83e8ef953ace47a216cac16fa9110.JPGDSC01343.thumb.JPG.6aae4baf281699ea67dd28948f419594.JPG

As you can see, I've chosen to organize my fossils by age rather than location.  I was originally going to have one cabinet for my North American fossils and the other cabinet for my "rest of the world" fossils, but it didn't seem balanced because while I have both large and small North American fossils, I have very few large fossils from elsewhere (due to shipping costs from overseas).  I'm pretty happy with how my display has turned out :)

Re: labels - I bought these tent/place cards and wrote on each as much information for each fossil as I had available to me.  I purchased these tent/place cards online from a site that starts with "A" ;)

• I found this Informative 9

3 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Mine are all crammed on a shelf at my dads in England.

When travel restrictions are lifted, I hope to bring them back over to Taiwan with me and display them properly.

Just be sure you can take them with you should you ever leave Taiwan. I don't know anything specific about the law in Taiwan, but some countries have strict export laws and I can see where someone might be able to bring their collection in (because no-one is checking what you bring in) but then have trouble later when they want to leave.

Don

I am confused and so is my collection. Most the time I do try and keep my shelves and collector’s drawers as mostly ammonites together, mammal material, shark teeth, plant material, coral  and so on. But I also have a collection of Mazon Creek, isle of Sheppey or Hell Creek that I keep together. I think I go by what looks most interesting in the space I have available. The most important thing is to keep track of the specimen’s info/labelling. My is numbered or has a label underneath..

E5F1C17B-6392-4CBF-BCE8-2003131A6CDB.jpeg

D9994017-D3D4-4442-B307-92C44059E672.jpeg

E281B0D9-C767-46E2-BD0A-BB489DF02BC2.jpeg

B81479D1-A292-4832-8003-EC9200E944F2.jpeg

EEB5F998-A33A-434C-9705-80F65072B168.jpeg

ABF96953-643A-497D-A403-A4C4C51C92D6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

Mine is in an organized disarray. I mostly don’t sort it into specific categories, but more of a general category. This cabinet is sorted with vertebrates on the top shelf and invertebrates/trace fossils on the bottom shelf. I basically just place things where it’s aesthetically pleasing.

This cabinet is mostly for my fossil fish and other antiques or artifacts. The top shelf is my GRF fish. The middle shelf houses my fish from all over the world and my antiques. The bottom shelf has my larger fossils that couldn’t be displayed in the other cabinet and a couple of new fish from around the world.

Whatever route you decide to take, we hope to see it in the future! You can’t go wrong with a display as long as it has fossils!

Edit: it didn’t save my photos the first time, so the first referenced cabinet is the first photo. The second cabinet is the second photo. Sorry if there is any confusion.

D1F2FE21-7808-4EEE-A465-A18DEEF569AF.jpeg

EB203691-F13A-4FB9-B326-5EF4890C55ED.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

29 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Just be sure you can take them with you should you ever leave Taiwan. I don't know anything specific about the law in Taiwan, but some countries have strict export laws and I can see where someone might be able to bring their collection in (because no-one is checking what you bring in) but then have trouble later when they want to leave.

Don

Thats something I never considered. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks

I don't know if this will be of much help but this is the way I do it. I have over thousand specimens cataloged and I really don't see myself changing my system. I number all my specimens with a code for the collecting site and a number for the specimen. For example… If a specimen is the sixth collected at Penn Dixie quarry, it is numbered PD6. If the specimen was the 10th one purchased from China, the number would be CH10 .
I put the number on the specimen itself and catalog it into Trilobase, my computer software.
How the specimens are stored, however, is a different story. I store them based upon the type fossil that they are. Gastropods, trilobites, cephalopods, etc. This makes it a lot easier to locate a specimen. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask me to elaborate.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

9 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

I don't know if this will be of much help but this is the way I do it. I have over thousand specimens cataloged and I really don't see myself changing my system. I number all my specimens with a code for the collecting site and a number for the specimen. For example… If a specimen is the sixth collected at Penn Dixie quarry, it is numbered PD6. If the specimen was the 10th one purchased from China, the number would be CH10 .
I put the number on the specimen itself and catalog it into Trilobase, my computer software.
How the specimens are stored, however, is a different story. I store them based upon the type fossil that they are. Gastropods, trilobites, cephalopods, etc. This makes it a lot easier to locate a specimen. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask me to elaborate.

Tom

Thanks, yes cataloguing sounds helpful, can you add photos of the fossils in a catalogue? I head you can do something similar to it with Microsoft Excel. I have a large collection, fossils from all over the world, but most from only two locations.

7 minutes ago, MrBones said:

Thanks, yes cataloguing sounds helpful, can you add photos of the fossils in a catalogue? I head you can do something similar to it with Microsoft Excel. I have a large collection, fossils from all over the world, but most from only two locations.

Here is one specimen which I entered in Trilobase.

Tom

snip it.PNG

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

1 minute ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Here is one specimen which I entered in Trilobase.

Tom

snip it.PNG

That's very cool! I will definitely look into that.

25 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Everybody is much more organized than me!!!!!!!!

20190731_132820.thumb.jpg.6c3786acc07b8a69fa2a4c27eba02248.jpg

That could keep me busy for months

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Everybody is much more organized than me!!!!!!!!

Not really, Malcolm. The rest of my life is in chaos!:heartylaugh:

Your friend from Ridgemount,

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

I collect locality assemblages so that is the way the collection is organized. Location, including formation, is also the minimum information required of a fossil. It's easy to identify something later or put a label on it if you know exactly where it's from. I do have a separate display case for echinoids and drawers for crabs. Nothing as nice as ya'll have though!

4 hours ago, Monica said:

Here are photos to show how I've chosen to organize my fossils...

As you can see, I've chosen to organize my fossils by age rather than location.  I was originally going to have one cabinet for my North American fossils and the other cabinet for my "rest of the world" fossils, but it didn't seem balanced because while I have both large and small North American fossils, I have very few large fossils from elsewhere (due to shipping costs from overseas).  I'm pretty happy with how my display has turned out :)

Re: labels - I bought these tent/place cards and wrote on each as much information for each fossil as I had available to me.  I purchased these tent/place cards online from a site that starts with "A" ;)

This is a splendid display Monica !

For my collection, each fossil has a label, plus a reference written on it when possible: name of the collection + a number refering to either a fossil type like "fishes from the world" either a location "oligocene from X location" plus the fossil number.

Exemple for a fossil from an outcrop i collect is: CP.2.7 meaning collection pixpaleosky, 2=this particular outcrop, 7=fossil number 7

Then in an excel file this reference corresponds to a name, location and age, like on the label.