The Dude

Hi everyone!

Found in the Peace River,Florida Bone vally

The tooth on the left is obvious horse tooth. It is 1" (25mm) wide and 1/2 inch (12mm) tall.

The tooth on the right is the one I am wondering if a horse tooth can get this big or is it something else. 

it is 1.5 inchs (38mm) wide and 1 inch tall (25mm) across the top at the widest point. 

What do you think? Thanks! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks, Harry.

This tooth (the right one) looked wider and so I assumed it was an upper tooth. I might have suspected it was the first premolar given its triangular outline but I (wisely) chose to keep quite to hide my ignorance rather than share it with the world. ;) I did a bit of internet image searching on horse dental anatomy and turned up this image which shows that the first premolars (P1) are really tiny almost non-functional teeth (also apparently called "wold teeth"). The P2 are thus the triangular teeth instead of the P1. Once you understand the outline and the pattern of the occlusal ridges you can then see why this would be from the right side of the maxilla. My niece Ella would likely find me humorously ignorant of horse dentition but then she owns two horses, rides them nearly every day, and has her A Level certification in Pony Club. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

tandupps..jpg

PermanentEquineTeeth-withText.png

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's an equus right upper second premolar (P2).

Thanks Harry and Ken