North Carolina Ediacaran Fossils

klattrocks

Ediacaran body fossils are extremely rare in North Carolina. This specimen came from a well dated Ediacaran Site. The site produces Aspidellas, microbial mat, and trace fossils. The Cid fm is the unit exposed in this quarry. Some have argued that this is microbial mat that had been influenced by the movement of water. If you look closely there is at least two specimens and the structure doesn't appear to show the MISS type features. I have sent some photos off to paleontologists who specialize in Ediacaran fossils. I'm eagerly waiting to find out what they think. I have had at least one paleontologist who believes this will be the first record of the presence of these species in the NC Ediacaran!

0512202020.jpg

0507201229.jpg

0507201239a_HDR.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Neat!

Keep us informed of what happens, please!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, very interesting! It certainly looks to me like an organism, or at least a resting(?) trace of a typical rippled form, similar to Epibaion from the White Sea. But that's just my armchair observation.

I have heard/seen a little (very little) of the Ediacaran in NC - extremely rare, as you say - so I'm glad that there is still stuff to be found.

Will be watching!

Wow, that’s a beauty! Do update us on your findings!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• 3 weeks later...

It's basically unanimous that this is an Ediacaran fossil of some sort. I have two opinions of Pteridinium and one of Swartpuntia! I'm having a Professor who researches the Chinese Ediacaran take a look at it in a month or so. Can't wait!