I was able to get some much needed "me time" yesterday. With all the worries of the world I have been in a foul mood lately, but I am happy to report that my mood has brightened significantly. :D. There is nothing like crawling around on a road cut, and hunting fossils, to really lift one's spirits! 

I spent a couple of hours at an upper Ordovician road cut that has been on my list to check out. It is an exposure of the Grant Lake Limestone. Shortly after I arrived, I realized that I was in for a real treat! This particular exposure is more fossil than limestone. Brachiopods are everywhere! Vinlandostrophia dominate the exposure; with Hebertella coming in a close second. Other brachs are also found, but less abundant. Orthoconic nautiloid fragments are frequently found and bryozoan encrusting is a common sight. I also found a few gastropods, and one trilobite piece that I am excited about. 

Unfortunately I did not take pictures in the field. It was a conscious decision. I just wanted to enjoy my time, relax, and focus on the hunt. I'll get some next time as I will definitely be going back. I did take a few pics of my better finds at home. Enjoy! 

First up are the Brachiopods. I found some nice whole Vinlandostrophia, and Hebertella, and what I think is Rafinesquina  ( @Tidgy's Dad ) . I also took home a few single valves for study of the internal structure. I think with a little bit of clean up these will look great!

Brachiopod.JPG.aa484ead676ff669df6d5be01e267bc8.JPG  

I was happy to find some orthoconic nautiloids. They have been sorely lacking in my collection. I will have to research what species are found in this formation to come up with an ID. I have a few ideas, but need to confirm.

cephalopod.JPG.7673b49907e593e186e0136e7e76205d.JPG  

Here are a few gastropods and bryozoans.

I can't resist the alluring whirls of a gastropod. :wub:  They seem to be uncommon in the areas that I hunt so I grab them whenever I see them.

I believe these are new species of bryozoa that I will be adding to my collection. Which is exciting!

GastropodBryozoa.JPG.9e09e4fa4f01e35377d760ca75b6afe3.JPG 

Here is a tril-o-bit that I found. I'm very happy with it. :)  Typical trilobite fragments from this area are not usually identifiable. Except to say they are possible trilobite pieces. This is a cephalic doublure of an Isotelus. Thanks to @piranha for help with the ID.

Trilobit.thumb.JPG.6074c8a65acae989d8c35fcfff175a55.JPG

All in all it was a great time. I got to relax a bit, forget my troubles, and brighten my mood. I also added some nice pieces to my collection. It was a good day! :) 

• I found this Informative 12

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Having been spectacularly wrong on my last id for you, I'll have another go. 

Yes, that's Rafinesquina alternata, I think. 

Others are Hebertella occidentalis, Vinlandostrophia ponderosa and the one top middle is Vinlandostrophia laticosta .

The bryozoan top right is Parvohallopora ramosa, from what I can see. 

And I'll guess at Loxoplucus for the gastropod second from left and Cyclonema to the right of it. 

Have a look at Orthonybyoceras for a start on the slightly curved nautiloids. 

Hope it's of some help and that some of it is right. 

Nice finds! :)

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nothing like getting out in the open air and connecting with nature by hunting for fossils to brighten one's mood.  I'm feeling the need to follow your example and go get some ol' stuff myself (perhaps even older than the underwear in the back of the drawer).   :shakehead:

Glad to hear you're feeling better and love seeing your treasures.  :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

You bet, a fossil-hunt is just what the doctor orders, sometimes. Looks like a pretty good haul, and any time you can add something you didn't already have examples of is that much better. (Rare for me these days, I could use some new sites/formations to collect)

That orthocone looks like it has a curve to it - Do you think that is original, or a taphonomic distortion? Curious. (I know there are some curved taxa)

Nice work and there is nothing like a good fossil hunt to lift your spirits. Good finds 

all the best Bobby 

You've been threatening to get out there to dig into your local Ordo spots, and now you are! That's fantastic and great to see. You have a very nice representative buffet of the material here. 

And, just think: this is but the start of your season! (And, yes, I share your "affliction" in being hypnotized by the whorls of the gastros, that almost always seem to make it in my trip buckets :P ). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Having been spectacularly wrong on my last id for you, I'll have another go. 

Yes, that's Rafinesquina alternata, I think. 

Others are Hebertella occidentalis, Vinlandostrophia ponderosa and the one top middle is Vinlandostrophia laticosta .

The bryozoan top right is Parvohallopora ramosa, from what I can see. 

And I'll guess at Loxoplucus for the gastropod second from left and Cyclonema to the right of it. 

Have a look at Orthonybyoceras for a start on the slightly curved nautiloids. 

Hope it's of some help and that some of it is right. 

Nice finds! :)

Don't worry about it Adam! I'm wrong more often than not. I appreciate any help and suggestions. Just having a different set of eyes and a fresh perspective on something helps me tremendously.

In the case of these IDs. I think you are right!

Yay! Rafinesquina. :D I have found a few bits and pieces before, but never anything remotely whole. I'm happy!

Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia) ponderosa is known to be abundant in this formation and was my suspected species for the larger specimens. Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I knew the one in the middle was a different species, but I hadn't looked to see what one it might be. Thanks for the V. laticosta ID!

Thanks for the ID on the bryozoan! I haven't even tried to venture a guess at that one yet.

Loxoplocus was my thoughts as well, as I have an example already in my collection to compare it to. I'll check out Cyclonema.

From the little research I did last night it looks like Orthonybyoceras and Treptoceras are the likely candidates for orthocones found in this formation. So I think you are on the right track.

Thanks again Adam for the help! Right or wrong, I appreciate the effort! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I should have said Loxoplocus. 

Glad to be of help. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, grandpa said:

Nothing like getting out in the open air and connecting with nature by hunting for fossils to brighten one's mood.  I'm feeling the need to follow your example and go get some ol' stuff myself (perhaps even older than the underwear in the back of the drawer).   :shakehead:

Glad to hear you're feeling better and love seeing your treasures.  :fistbump:

Agreed! It was nice to get out of this house and breath some fresh air.

8 hours ago, grandpa said:

(perhaps even older than the underwear in the back of the drawer)

That is going to be OLD! Do you even have Pre-Cambrian exposures in Texas? :P 

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I should have said Loxoplocus. 

Glad to be of help. :)

:DOH: So should I. 

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

That orthocone looks like it has a curve to it - Do you think that is original, or a taphonomic distortion? Curious. (I know there are some curved taxa)

I think that it is original.

Like you mentioned, there are taxa with curves like this, and I know that some of them are found in the Ordovician of the area. I'm just not certain if any of them are found in this formation. More research on my part will be needed to confirm.

Great report and finds, Wayne!

Glad you were able to get out.  :) 

Fossil hunting always lifts my mood, as well. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice work and there is nothing like a good fossil hunt to lift your spirits. Good finds 

all the best Bobby 

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice to hear you've got your good mood back. With good reason! :)

29 minutes ago, Kane said:

You've been threatening to get out there to dig into your local Ordo spots, and now you are! That's fantastic and great to see. You have a very nice representative buffet of the material here. 

And, just think: this is but the start of your season! (And, yes, I share your "affliction" in being hypnotized by the whorls of the gastros, that almost always seem to make it in my trip buckets :P ). 

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Great report and finds, Wayne!

Glad you were able to get out.  :) 

Fossil hunting always lifts my mood, as well. 

Thanks guys! It really was great to get out there again, and I also have new material to catalog, research, and prep to keep my mind occupied for a while. I'm good to go until the next hunt, which will hopefully be sooner than later. :)  

• I found this Informative 2

37 minutes ago, Monica said:

Nice finds, especially that curved nautiloid :wub:

Thanks Monica! It’s one of my favorites as well. :) 

Looks like you had a great collecting day Wayne. Would have lifted my mood as well. You have to love Ohio Valley Ordovician sites. Great stuff. Can't wait to dig into that material again. If it wasn't for COVID19 I would have been there at the end of this month, unfortunately now delayed probably till the fall. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:40 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Looks like you had a great collecting day Wayne. Would have lifted my mood as well. You have to love Ohio Valley Ordovician sites. Great stuff. Can't wait to dig into that material again. If it wasn't for COVID19 I would have been there at the end of this month, unfortunately now delayed probably till the fall. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jeff! It was a great time, and I do love the Ordovician sites around here. :)

Wish you were coming down soon, but totally understand. Hopefully you make it down in the fall, and hopefully we can get together for a hunt. :)