Insect wing or Cyclopteris?

Strepsodus

I found this fossil today when splitting upper Carboniferous nodules I found earlier this year in West Yorkshire, UK.  I can’t decide whether this is a Cyclopteris leaf or an insect wing.  I think Cyclopteris leaf is more likely but I’m not sure.  It measures 2.5cm long.  Does anyone know what this is?
Thanks,

Daniel1C05DE6C-1179-426B-BAB8-03633A5A0322.thumb.jpeg.841433be2022dc29ddaaff02ba03715f.jpeg

36D3FE9A-2F2D-41F8-B6F7-D7278E70C08D.thumb.jpeg.7a238b7c2854810b67ad3e577dfcec6a.jpeg

Don't think it's a wing. I'm not seeing any indication of veins & it looks like it might be a bit too thick. But I could be wrong. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

15 minutes ago, daves64 said:

Don't think it's a wing. I'm not seeing any indication of veins & it looks like it might be a bit too thick. But I could be wrong. :shrug:

Thanks for the comment.  I think you are probably correct.  There is one area of possible veins but I forgot to take a clear photo of it.  Here is a low quality photo.  I will take a better photo tomorrow.

F35A8F6B-D5E7-4AB3-868C-B2803DB4AFD2.jpeg.18ba4031506351db2acf96eacdb25a14.jpeg

Don't insect wing veins normally form closed cells? I don't see any here.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

14 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Don't insect wing veins normally form closed cells? I don't see any here.

I believe so.  There are some closed cells on the part in the above photo but they are not very clear on the photo.

2 minutes ago, Strepsodus said:

I believe so.  There are some closed cells on the part in the above photo but they are not very clear on the photo.

A Cyclopteris  will have radiating veins, but none will come back together to form a closed cell. I see some branching in the specimen, but none that come back together. Of course it may be some other plant. I don't get a wing "vibe" from this specimen, but that's just from what I can see in the photos, so take it with a grain of salt -- I may be wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

A Cyclopteris  will have radiating veins, but none will come back together to form a closed cell. I see some branching in the specimen, but none that come back together. Of course it may be some other plant. I don't get a wing "vibe" from this specimen, but that's just from what I can see in the photos, so take it with a grain of salt -- I may be wrong.

Thanks for the help.  The more I look at it the more I think it is plant.  The preservation of the plants in the nodules wasn’t great, so it would probably be unlikely for an insect to be preserved.