Agatized mushroom maybe

Yak503

Would like to know if this is as I thing and agatized mushroom cap. I found it in the Ochoco in central Oregon

DCAEC4BF-9B24-4BAB-85E4-7D7C5EF22BE6.jpeg

Maybe in addition to the “So you think you’ve found an egg...” there should also be a “So you think you found a mushroom...” sticky post.

I'm seeing a nice piece of agate, but not a fossil. 

There's only been a handful of reported mushroom fossils, but they do not necessarily resemble the mushrooms we find growing in the woods!

Soft body preservation is extremely rare, and generally localized to what are called Konservat-Lagerstatte (areas where the deposition and preservation conditions were just right to preserve soft body remains). With mushrooms, keep in mind that much of them is water, and that this water would dissipate postmortem, and certainly long before the mineralization process that would transform organic material into a fossil. In areas outside of recognized Lagerstatte, soft organic tissue would rot and break down long before it could be fossilized. 

So, perhaps not the answer you may have been hoping for, but there are some fossil possibilities in Oregon should any of our other members who know more about the state's fossils chime in. 

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, dhiggi said:

Maybe in addition to the “So you think you’ve found an egg...” there should also be a “So you think you found a mushroom...” sticky post.

That would require a paleobotanist/paleomycologist that would be willing to write up a guide for us to post. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you want to know why mushroom fossils are extremely rare, just leave a mushroom you bought or picked out in the weather for a couple of days and look at what's left.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The converse, a major reason why fossils of them even exist. There bodies contain chitin.