British Megalodon Tooth

Ojnoj2

Hello, 

I've just been given a megalodon tooth by a fisherman from Essex. He tells me that he found it on his local beach (Harwich) and because he isn't really interested in fossils, it was gathering dust in his shed and he was happy to give it to me. 

British megs of this quality are basically unheard of... My question is, is it possible that this is a British meg? I have no reason to think he was lying, but if that's the case, this tooth is unbelievable for the location! 

Cheers! 

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 18.52.26.png

• I found this Informative 2

also, if anybody is interested, my friend and I run a fossil insta page called: Jonahandthewhalelikeoldthings where we showcase out fossils. Feel free to follow! 

Nice tooth! I had a look online, it seems they are found in Britain, but are extremely rare.

I don't know if this is British or not, but that's a wonderful gift. :meg:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It’s unlikely this tooth is from GB. I’ve never seen one this quality and colour. The only ones I saw were incredibly rough.

I would be guessing you tooth is from the US.

Kind regards 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

My friend  @TomWhite has found some really nice megs in the U.K. but he has the gift of finds them. My gut instinct is that it looks like the megs preservation from South Carolina but I can’t rule out it that it is from the U.K. I have only seen a couple. Why would your fisherman friend lie. Very nice tooth anyway to be gifted . I hope you got him a creat of beers as a thank you :meg:

• I found this Informative 3

Nice tooth! I’m pretty sure it’s not from britain as the preservation is wrong but still a nice addition!

Looks like a Carolinian Meg..:. 

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Thanks guys, I was dubious about it too. The preservation looks too good to be British and is identical to some of the US ones. 

That said, he had absolutely zero reason to lie. He reached out over Instagram and told me that he’d picked up a tooth that was gathering dust in his shed so it was better in my hands than his. 

think I’ll just take it on trust that it’s British unless anybody is 100% certain that it’s not 

44F68AEE-A55A-44DD-8844-108631FB9BAD.jpeg

75E4B860-5340-4CC2-ABB2-B3FFCDA95CB0.jpeg

take it in mind people sometimes seed famous localities for their kids to find etc, so it's possiblt they just lost this one^_^

• 2 months later...

Wherever that comes from, it's a beautiful gift. I'm sure you enjoy it a lot.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Nice tooth, I have a UK meg and its pretty water worn no serrations visible, very very water worn and brownish black.  Your tooth looks like one from South Carolina but who knows.  

It would be the best English I’ve ever seen. Megs in these formations (Red Craig and Coralline Craig) are always reworked. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 1 month later...

Bit late to this post, but still worth chipping in. This doesn't look like a British meg to me. Most have quite a distinctive reddish-brown colour and/or a polished patina, although I have seen one more black-grey in colour more akin to those found in the south-Carolina area. This particular tooth was nonetheless rather worn and had deposits of Red Crag still in the nooks and crannies; your tooth doesn't show this. As to how an American meg ended up on a Harwich beach I'm not sure, but I suspect it is a joke (either by your friend or someone else). A few years ago someone (who obviously had some spare cash!) left a load of American and Moroccan sharks teeth on the nearby beach at Walton on the Naze as a joke, and the same used to happen on the Isle of Sheppey. 

It doesn't look British to me, rather a river find from SC or Georgia. I've seen many with this coloration from the ACE River Basin. I'm not saying your friend is lying, like it's been said he has no reason to. Maybe it was planted?

The British Megs I've seen were all worn by the ocean pretty hard. Regardless, and admittedly, I've seen only a few and never personally handled one so take my opinion with a grain of salt.