Strange find Lower Carboniferous

terapoza

Hi. I went to old closed quarry last Monday. I use to visit this one for last ten years. It's a Burren formation dated Visean -Asbian in Galway (3 miles north from town center) Ireland. Mainly you can find Productus , Eomarginifera, S.junceum large colonies, gastropods etc. Specimen below it's the first find of this type I found here. Any ideas? It doesn't look like concretion to me but maybe Iam wrong.

20200514_133757.jpg

Looks like plant material, but I doubt there is enough to go on in IDing it more specifically. Still nice to find any plant material from before the Pennsylvanian/Lower Carb.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice find, the plant material indicates proximity to land which we don't find in the Burren to the south. Fluctuating sea levels due to glaciation have a significant effect in the upper part of the Burren Formation.

The Burren Formation contains marine limestones but also deltaic shale deposits which contain some plant material.

So I'll say plant remains too.

Nice.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for replies. It's nice to find land plant in shallow marine environment from late Asbian. Unfortunately it's not my subject. I like Paleozoic invertebrates. If someone is interested in fossil plants I think I could make him happy to send this specimen for free with full description.