Trilobite authenticty and help

FossilizedJello

Good afternoon fossil hunters,

I was wondering if this trilobite is authentic and perhaps any other details would be great!

THANKS!

12321231.JPG

Also , is this just another cheap trilobite or is it possibly rare/unique?

Genuine damaged phacopid cephalon. Phacops rana from Ohio I think, but I could be wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

It’s real. It’s a phacopid. Any info on location? In terms of rarity, they were the cockroaches of the Devonian. :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Tis the cephalon.of a phacopid trilobite. 

Seems real, as long as that eye isn't glued on, and with a bit of prepping would look pretty nice, the visible eye and glabella are decent and as long as the other eye's as good it would be a nice piece. 

Not particularly rare.  

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Huntonia said:

Genuine damaged phacopid cephalon. Phacops rana from Ohio I think, but I could be wrong.

Eldredgeops rana, old timer. :D:P 

• I found this Informative 4

1 minute ago, Huntonia said:

Thanks, I think you are absolutely right. What makes it damaged though? It seems to be whole.

1 minute ago, FossilizedJello said:

Thanks, I think you are absolutely right. What makes it damaged though? It seems to be whole.

It is likely a moulted cephalon, and it is missing a bit of the anterior cephalon beneath the eye.

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Eldredgeops rana, old timer. :D:P 

:DOH: I knew that! Sometimes my brain seems to remember things selectively :P

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

It’s real. It’s a phacopid. Any info on location? In terms of rarity, they were the cockroaches of the Devonian. :D

No, its an online lot I want to bid on possibly. The guy looks to have got it at an estate sale. HAHA, cockroaches of the devonian huh. Ill take these over cockroaches, atleast they are big enough to kill!

Thanks everyone else!

:D (I was going to tease about Huntonia, too). Most of my field comrades are older than me and still use the ol’ Phacops. 

1 minute ago, FossilizedJello said:

No, its an online lot I want to bid on possibly. The guy looks to have got it at an estate sale. HAHA, cockroaches of the devonian huh. Ill take these over cockroaches, atleast they are big enough to kill!

Thanks everyone else!

If you’re willing to make the drive west Buffalo way, Penn Dixie will have oodles of them!

1 minute ago, Kane said:

If you’re willing to make the drive west Buffalo way, Penn Dixie will have oodles of them!

YES, I need to go there sometime soon. I just dont know if nows the right time to take a 6 hour drive!

Probably not, but it will get better and the bugs will still be there! :) 

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Probably not, but it will get better and the bugs will still be there! :) 

=) thanks again for everything

17 hours ago, FossilizedJello said:

=) thanks again for everything

You'll be amazed at how much more satisfying it is to find your own than buying it online. You may even find a complete one, and there's probably places to hunt that are closer than six hours. An hour or two of Google research and some poking around in the locations topic on this forum should give you a good idea if it's so.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 5/15/2020 at 3:08 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

You'll be amazed at how much more satisfying it is to find your own than buying it online. You may even find a complete one, and there's probably places to hunt that are closer than six hours. An hour or two of Google research and some poking around in the locations topic on this forum should give you a good idea if it's so.

I agree, there's nothing like finding your own and my collection is great to me! I just like to do a little online to keep my enthusiasm and excitement for fossils and rocks in control. I try to flip some stuff just for fun and a few extra bucks. I also do add some stuff to my collection but over 90% of it is stuff I found myself. I definitely will check around for these "locations" hehe im excited now. Thanks for the info. Any chance you can throw me a bone on a closer location? I live in passaic county nj.

1 hour ago, FossilizedJello said:

Any chance you can throw me a bone on a closer location? I live in passaic county nj.

I'm in Illinois, just west of Chicago. I'm afraid I don't know NJ in detail. I do know that it's a lot like Illinois in that fossils are found in many places. Look at the NJ thread in the locations topic.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

If that matrix is not to solid, try wetting it a little and scraping the matrix off behind that eye, if you bought it that is.  There is some that is hidden there, still missing portions  though.  I have heard Penn Dixie can be a good spot, there are some other spots near Albany that can be found online. Found some nice brachiopods there a few years ago.   If you are in southern Indiana , watch for the small exposures on country roads, I find a few phacops there occasionally on bike rides.  Packy