Hello all I'm very new to collecting

Nimblewoodzy89

Hello all please could some actually tell me if this is a real spino tooth if possible I've very new in collecting and I wanted to start small with my children as I've order them replicas of a trex tooth and a annimite  sorry bad spelling I know  but I order this off a seller on Amazon and I just want some more insight in to withers this is really or not and I'm sorry  it I have a bad camera (some reason I can't upload a photo my size is to big so if possible could some send me a really picture of a spino  tooth and I'll check for some similar that is  about it and also I could send the link that I ordered it from if this is allowed many thanks nimble 

Edited by Nimblewoodzy89
Spelt spino incorrectly massively
  • I found this Informative 1

As some of our members may not feel comfortable downloading files, you can check online resizers for photos or use your native operating system to cut down the file size. Sometimes cropping out superfluous background can significantly reduce file size.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

For some reason it's still say it's not loading it and I'm sorry admins of this get me in trouble I just would like as much information of this as possible as I'm interested in carrying on collecting and as I've only just starting all info even good places in the UK to go and find my own with my children would be amazing  but here's the link to the one I purchased off Amazon 

[link removed]

Yet again sorry if this is not allowed I'm not trying to make anyone but this or anything I just want pure information 

I've removed the sales link and saved the image which I will post here. If you are using a laptop or desktop, you can right click an image and save it. If you are using a mobile device such as a tablet or phone, you can tap and hold the image at which point it may give you the option to save it to your device. 

spino.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Cropped and contrasted:

15895652230031627668718-min.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Nimblewoodzy89 said:

15895652230031627668718-min.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :trex:

Here are some tips that you might find useful for starting a collection.

Photos

The blurry picture could be better. But there are no obvious red flags visible and it does indeed look like a real spinosaur tooth. Generally when photographing a fossil to see if it's real, has repairs or you just want an ID you want good closeups from different angles with a scale next to it. Without details it's often very hard to properly ID a fossil or tell if it's been repaired.

Spinosaur teeth. Knowing fakes from real fossils

There are a lot of Spinosaur teeth on the market. And they are much sought after too. So while you don't generally see completely fake teeth. You do see a lot of teeth composited from teeth and bone that do not belong together. Kane posted this photo with three Spinosaurid teeth. They look okay for starter teeth. They have a bit of damage. There is some crushing on the left one and the tip and a lot of enamel is gone on the tooth on the right. The tooth in the middle could be the best one of this bunch. But looks can be deceiving. Notice that there is a possible repair near the tip of the tooth. Now this could just be a repair and nothing else. Or it could be composited on from a different tooth. So the three teeth in this photo look okay with some possible areas of suspect. Nearly all Spinosaur teeth on the market will be from Morocco. With such a booming business there will be a lot of fakes from Morocco as well. So be on your guard.

3 hours ago, Kane said:

spino.jpg

Spinosaur teeth identification

As I said most spinosaur teeth on the market are from Morocco. But the area where they come from, the Kem Kem beds, seems to have at least 2 types of Spinosaur. There is the famous Spinosaurus as well as closely related Sigilmassasaurus. Since not a lot of skull material has been found we cannot tell if a loose tooth belongs to one or the other. Bones and teeth from the Kem Kem beds of Morocco are generally characterised by their red sediment. The tooth in your photo could be either since it does look like the typical spinosaur tooth from Morocco.

There are also spinosaur fossils from other locations such as the rest of north Africa, South America, Western Europe and Asia. One of the more well known Spinosaurs is Baryonyx from the UK. The teeth from Baryonyx and it's close relatives differ from those of Spinosaurus in having very fine but pronounced serrations on it's teeth.

I hope you find this helpful.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Welcome, the only item I would add on photo taking that makes identification easier would be to take straight in shots and not at oblique angles.  With teeth both sides, closeup of serrations and one of the base.  If you are using a sellers photos post a he listed. .   Enjoy your stay we are here to help.

Maybe this is unnecessary but a great app you can download (if you upload from mobile) is the free photoshop app, you can crop and resize images for uploading using that, as well as many edits to enhance images regarding lighting and contrast. Otherwise use the advice given already. Welcome to the forum :ighappy: 

Thank you guys I'll be looking into it more  when I get home from work thank you much much for the insight I've learnt something new this morning haha 

Hi,

You can also adjust the size of your photos on your camera.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hello, i am new to this site and I am looking for information on my fossil. I apologize for putting this in a comment section but I can't find where to start my own. Any information is appreciated.  Thank you in advance

20200517_183242.jpg