Found in Alabama USA

MichelleDVM

Hi All! I am brand new here. I have had a life-long interest in all things archaeology/paleontology/geology and was always digging in the dirt as a kid. But I am a veterinarian by trade and have not a clue about any of these awesome things that so intrigue me, lol.  The fossil pictured below is one I found on my parents' land (where I grew up) probably 30 years ago.  I found it in a little valley area where a creek runs between two fairly large hills. Anyone have any idea what I have here? Thanks a bunch! Michelle

5ebedbbd47ebd_IMG_7683(1).thumb.jpg.1c7cf3eee2079fa771ed72e7bf07bc93.jpg5ebedbb9da1db_IMG_7681(1).thumb.jpg.83319b942fa89e585fa37fe80a5de8aa.jpgIMG_7682.thumb.jpg.be5cf5d6646c56e92ef269a0475cb854.jpg

IMG_7681 (1).jpg

IMG_7683 (1).jpg

I believe this is not a fossil. I am unsure of what type of rock it is though. Welcome to the forum and I hope you have a nice day!

• I found this Informative 3

: )

Water worn sandstone/quartzite with quartz veins (thicker ones on top and bottom, thinner oblique ones in middle) which have weathered proud. So not a fossil but I would have picked it up for a closer look...

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, Trevor said:

I believe this is not a fossil. I am unsure of what type of rock it is though. Welcome to the forum and I hope you have a nice day!

Thanks for your feedback! 

12 hours ago, westcoast said:

Water worn sandstone/quartzite with quartz veins (thicker ones on top and bottom, thinner oblique ones in middle) which have weathered proud. So not a fossil but I would have picked it up for a closer look...

Thanks a bunch! Makes sense based on where I found it. Appreciate the feedback.