White-wolf

does anyone know which gomphotherium species lived in europe ? and what time period it was ? 

thanks in advance for your reply! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I did not get an answer to the last thing I asked so I try again.

does anyone know which gomphotherium species lived in europe ? and what time period it was ? 

thanks in advance for your reply!:) 

I find reference to only one:  Gomphotherium angustidens found in the French Miocene.  But then, I haven't tried Google, have you?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Yes, Gomphotherium angustidens from France :

- Channay-sur-Lathan (37), Langhian,

- En Péjouan, Castelnau Barbarens, Simorre, Sansan (32), Middle Miocene.

And Gomphotherium subtapiroideum (Schlesinger, 1917) :

- Lambesc (13), Middle Miocene.

(Information found on the web).

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

is there any way and know which species teeth belong to ?? I have a gomphotherium tooth that is about 15 million and is found in Germany. 

For questions like these, I highly recommend using Fossilworks, which is a great database of a bunch of different species and where and when they lived. A search for Gomphotherium will show you that during the Miocene, the genus has been reported multiple times from several European countries. Looking at each database will give you info on the exact age, what other species were found there, and more. Give it a try :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Welcomme (1994) described the new Gomphotherium species G. hannibali from the Early Miocene of southern France, and there's also a paper by Gasparik and Markov (2009) that regards Gomphotherium praetypicum as a valid Gomphotherium species.

Gasparik, M., and Markov, G. N., 2009. Gomphotheriumannectens group’ (Proboscidea) in Hungary. Fragmenta Palaeontologica Hungarica 27: 73–79. 

Welcomme, J.–L., 1994. Le plus ancien crâne de proboscidien d’Europe, Gomphotherium hannibali nov. sp. (Proboscidea, Mammalia), du Miocène inférieur du Languedoc (France). Comptes rendus de l’Académie des sciences Paris II 319: 135–140. 

• I found this Informative 1