Another trip to the Danube Valley

Ludwigia

I spent the afternoon today exploring the ditches in the Upper Danube Valley and found something in all 3 of them. Spent most of my time at the regular ditch by the side of the road in the end where I've been slowly excavating the Kimmeridgian hypselocylum zone every couple of months or so for the last few years. I took a couple of photos of the work in progress and also one of my finds. I'll post them here again once they're prepped.

1.thumb.jpg.8d502a351d4d1b9cd5f3db99fb1ccf2a.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3a4fae805c13b5db84d38f8c52d28354.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.04f07081a1e2db20b6f0951a6d38f727.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I am looking forward to you, working your magic, Roger.:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

WOW! 

Methinks there's a few good 'uns there! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

27 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I am looking forward to you, working your magic, Roger.:popcorn:

14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

WOW! 

Methinks there's a few good 'uns there! :)

Well, I hope to get down to some of them tomorrow, but first, it's off to beddy-bye.

Love virtually hunting with you Roger.  Love ammonites and seeing the variety in your neck of the woods.

Yay popcorn time! Cant wait to see how they turn out. :popcorn:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, grandpa said:

Love virtually hunting with you Roger.  Love ammonites and seeing the variety in your neck of the woods.

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Yay popcorn time! Cant wait to see how they turn out. :popcorn:

We'll need to have a bit of patience for today. My wife has planned an excursion for us which has nothing to do with fossils.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

We'll need to have a bit of patience for today. My wife has planned an excursion for us which has nothing to do with fossils.

Then it’s time for more popcorn! :popcorn::popcorn:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

My wife has planned an excursion for us which has nothing to do with fossils.

Such a thing exists? :P

Enjoyed seeing where these lovelies come from. Can't wait to see the before, during, and after images of them being prepped.

Cheers.

-Ken

A very good start! Your hard work seems to pay off handsomely. Some pretty large ones there! :thumbsu::ammonite01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I enjoy seeing the benefit of other folk's hard work while I sit here waiting for the pancakes to be ready. My life is so hard.  It looks like you've been rewarded rather nicely, Roger. Thanks for the photos.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

10 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Then it’s time for more popcorn! :popcorn::popcorn:

10 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Nice haul!! Can’t wait to see the results 

10 hours ago, RJB said:

Wow!  Very nice haul Roger!!!  :)

RB

9 hours ago, digit said:

Such a thing exists? :P

Enjoyed seeing where these lovelies come from. Can't wait to see the before, during, and after images of them being prepped.

Cheers.

-Ken

8 hours ago, Kane said:

A very good start! Your hard work seems to pay off handsomely. Some pretty large ones there! :thumbsu::ammonite01:

8 hours ago, Pagurus said:

I enjoy seeing the benefit of other folk's hard work while I sit here waiting for the pancakes to be ready. My life is so hard.  It looks like you've been rewarded rather nicely, Roger. Thanks for the photos.

Thanks for your patience everyone. Well, now we can get started. Our excursion didn't last the whole day, so I found a few hours later on to do some stylus work with the air pens on some of them. I've taken a couple of photos of the finds in the raw and numbered them for simplicity's sake so that you can refer to them as the work progresses. You can click on the photos to enlarge them in order to get a better look at the samples. I'll tell their stories at the end once they're finished.

Crate 1. These are all from what I call site 2:

5ec04ab3a1104_Kiste1.thumb.jpg.2a30d0587ca3bf7122f96373c07337f4.jpg

Crate 2. The very bottom one is from a site a few kilometers down the road. All the others are from site 3. They are both ditches directly underneath the exposures, which are too high to reach, but blocks fall down regularly which can be taken apart.

5ec04ad6786fb_Kiste2.thumb.jpg.9cee86dc420b96ce133d754bfd7e80b2.jpg

The wonderful thing about this matrix, a relatively soft marly limestone, is that it's easy to work and has a good separating layer between steinkern and matrix, which generally makes for relatively quick work with the stylus.

• I found this Informative 6

The first one I tackled was #5. As you can see in the photo, it was extracted in 3 pieces, the smaller one of which I had already glued back on. The trick was then to extract the piece of living chamber from the matrix piece on the right and transfer it to the other side. Then I reduced the amount of matrix and made a little block.

1a.thumb.jpg.4f1f4a7fd9aeb888418ea8c238d5bc3b.jpg

Then I took on #4 and also left it with some matrix. There was a piece of another ammonite to be removed, but that went well.

2a.thumb.jpg.b88ba8752b117752679910bdd66bb0fa.jpg

#2 is a Rasenia, which is relatively rare for this site and in this size and condition, so I was curious to see if the inner whorls were intact, which they were, by the looks of it. Abrading should tell the tale. I may need to do a bit of repair work on this one.

3a.thumb.jpg.e7b32ede3d598e188d58d8f1d9ef2996.jpg

It was a similar story with #22, which was the sole find from that particular site. The inner whorls are usually missing at this exposure, but this time I was lucky.

4a.thumb.jpg.7a4cc8c0f120444974027613ec294229.jpg

#9 was an easy and relatively quick job.

5a.thumb.jpg.f6b5e622874c3562c6a9c26e709aee03.jpg

Same with #10, although the reverse side was quite weathered, but at least the one side is good.

6a.thumb.jpg.3a8474f8e8a6a2b5e44c8dd3b7a9e15d.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

#7 is a nice little multiblock with 3 different species on it. It broke in 2 along the way, but without loss of material, so I could glue it back and proceed with formatting the matrix for a stand block.

7a.thumb.jpg.e405fc4224235ea21c71c3246a2077d4.jpg

The last one today was #12, the best find from site 3.

8a.thumb.jpg.12adc2591293fad56155ea712155ac0b.jpg

I think I'll probably abrade these ones tomorrow and finish them off, but then there are still another 14 pieces to work on.

• I found this Informative 7

I finished these ones off this afternoon. Here they are in the same order of appearance as above.

A1552.thumb.jpg.41f0cedf044d90e35c95f3c6552d417a.jpg

Taramelliceras (Metahaploceras) strombecki. 7cm.

A1553a.thumb.jpg.4d0a4780b9f25d8ff4212679b2cd0937.jpg

Ataxioceras hypselocylum. 9cm. This is the index fossil for the zone.

A1555a.thumb.jpg.f377bc2f8a56abc5d401b3157123aa13.jpg

Rasenia (Eurasenia) trimera. 6.5cm.

A1557a.thumb.jpg.709866f00950bfdc13ec9fe45a353896.jpg

Another Ataxioceras hypselocylum. 6.5cm.

A1554a.thumb.jpg.010cf4a9c2d3b3cc18b91bb8bcd7135c.jpg

And yet another Ataxioceras hypselocylum. 9.5cm.

A1556a.thumb.jpg.4410e8af939b93d50c3669d2319d1a07.jpg

Involuticeras involuta. 10cm.

A1558.thumb.jpg.d4e7ddc3e3604d9aaf204a014c3a23e8.jpg

I knocked off the little one at the bottom right since it was very badly preserved. They both turned out to be Taramelliceras (Metahaploceras) strombecki. 6 & 3.5cm.

A1559.thumb.jpg.84cc6dda2550dafe147e3cd3b5853dec.jpg

Parataxioceras sp. 7cm.

That's all for the time being. Maybe I'll start getting down to the rest tomorrow.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking great so far, Roger!  Especially looking forward to seeing #18... :popcorn:

Nice. I know Rember does a nice job on hiding prep traces, is this the case here or did you do additional prep before applying Rember. If you didn’t Rember even does a better job than i knew !  Greetz , Marcel

I did not read correctly, you were planning to do some additional airabrading and problably did....i was just wondering....

9 hours ago, Monica said:

Looking great so far, Roger!  Especially looking forward to seeing #18... :popcorn:

Thanks Monica. I take it you have a preference for bivalves :) I think that all I have to do with that one is to rember it.

7 hours ago, Everhardus said:

I did not read correctly, you were planning to do some additional airabrading and problably did....i was just wondering....

You got it.