Acetone soak

Dracarys

Hi all. I have a piece of matrix that has been consolidated in paraloid.

How long do I soak it in acetone to dissolve the consolidation? Thank you in advance. 

Paranoid?  Insert funny joke here that I cannot put together.  

If you dunk this in acetone, the acetone will dissolve the paraloid (with an L) pretty quickly (less than a minute).  If the paraloid is holding the rock/fossil together... goodbye rock/fossil.  To be more careful, use an eyedropper or paintbrush (natural bristle, notplastic) to dissolve the paraloid in smaller bits.

• I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

Paranoid?  Insert funny joke here that I cannot put together.  

If you dunk this in acetone, the acetone will dissolve the paraloid (with an L) pretty quickly (less than a minute).  If the paraloid is holding the rock/fossil together... goodbye rock/fossil.  To be more careful, use an eyedropper or paintbrush (natural bristle, notplastic) to dissolve the paraloid in smaller bits.

Thanks! Oops, snarge autocorrect...

2 hours ago, Dracarys said:

Hi all. I have a piece of matrix that has been consolidated in paranoid. How long do I soak it in acetone to dissolve the consolidation? Thank you in advance. 

Curious.  Why would you want to dissolve the consolidation?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

17 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Curious.  Why would you want to dissolve the consolidation?

I obtained a croc tooth in Aguja matrix and you can dissolve to find many micro fossils. 

I see.  If there is no significant macrofossil being held together by the consolidant, what difference does the duration of the soak make?  The microfossils won't be damaged by an acetone soak for a day . . . a week . . . a month.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

I see.  If there is no significant macrofossil being held together by the consolidant, what difference does the duration of the soak make?  The microfossils won't be damaged by an acetone soak for a day . . . a week . . . a month.

I guess just impatience. There is a 2 inch deinosuchus tooth but it is one piece and not held together but consolidant. 

why was the block consolidated if nothing was broken?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

13 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

:headscratch:maybe they wanted to keep the matrix intact for appearances sake. Personally I prefer most fossils in matrix, I think it makes for a better display. I wonder if whoever worked on it shares my preferences and wanted to make sure the matrix maintained it's integrity.  

8 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

:headscratch:maybe they wanted to keep the matrix intact for appearances sake. Personally I prefer most fossils in matrix, I think it makes for a better display. I wonder if whoever worked on it shares my preferences and wanted to make sure the matrix maintained it's integrity.  

It is always personal taste but I am with you I like the the look of fossil in the matrix where possible I keep them as is. They definitely can make for interesting displays .

The Aguja matrix, like most others (HCF, JRF) is not very stable so if you want to keep it intact it should be consolidated. 

I'm typically a fan of matrix fossils but this matrix is rich in microfossils.  So if its just a Croc tooth on it I would be very tempted to do the same.  Although not common theropod teeth are found in these blocks and I have spent hours looking for and finding them.  Lots of very cool shark teeth are also found.

Dromaeosaurid1.jpg.4eae81a213bd1d5f9ffd4b23121168f1.jpg

After I discovered this tooth needed to consolidate it

HybodusTooth1.thumb.jpg.8c24e5843d2ca536f748ce3a723eb33d.jpg

On 5/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, hadrosauridae said:

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

The Aguja matrix, like most others (HCF, JRF) is not very stable so if you want to keep it intact it should be consolidated. 

I'm typically a fan of matrix fossils but this matrix is rich in microfossils.  So if its just a Croc tooth on it I would be very tempted to do the same.  Although not common theropod teeth are found in these blocks and I have spent hours looking for and finding them.  Lots of very cool shark teeth are also found.

Dromaeosaurid1.jpg.4eae81a213bd1d5f9ffd4b23121168f1.jpg

After I discovered this tooth needed to consolidate it

HybodusTooth1.thumb.jpg.8c24e5843d2ca536f748ce3a723eb33d.jpg

You are correct Frank. The tooth was in a matrix that was 6 inch in size. After it soaked in acetone, I then dissolved part of excess matrix in water while leaving the tooth above the water line. This was as much a learning exercise for me on fossil preparation and unpreparation. The Deinosuchus tooth remains safely in the matrix unharmed in the process. I so far have found baby croc tooth, various fish teeth, gar scale and another that I am uncertain about (baby, baby croc?). See first pic below. 

S20200517_004.jpg

S20200517_001.jpg

S20200517_002.jpg

Nice,  Sankey ( 2008 )describes the croc tooth as an indeterminate Crocodylian.   The other two are amiidae fish teeth Melvius sp. which are some of the most common teeth in that matrix

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Nice,  Sankey ( 2008 )describes the croc tooth as an indeterminate Crocodylian.   The other two are amiidae fish teeth Melvius sp. which are some of the most common teeth in that matrix

Thank you Frank. I was fun to search for the microfossils but quite tedious work. 

10 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

It is always personal taste but I am with you I like the the look of fossil in the matrix where possible I keep them as is. They definitely can make for interesting displays .

The OP said nothing of a prepped tooth, just a block of consolidated matrix containing a tooth.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

The OP said nothing of a prepped tooth, just a block of consolidated matrix containing a tooth.

The assumption is that there is a macro-fossil of some kind visible in the matrix as it would be pointless to consolidate a piece of matrix with nothing visible.

• I found this Informative 2

I dont soak it just coat the surface of the fossil with a brush.    The vinac mix should penetrate an open pores.

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I dont soak it just coat the surface of the fossil with a brush.    The vinac mix should penetrate an open pores.

Thanks Frank!