Four Triassic teeth

FF7_Yuffie

Found these four, if someone can take a look. All from Bull Canyob.

1 - A preondactylus tooth. 5mm. Now, I know this is from Italy, so I'm guessing name is wrong. But is it pterosaur?

2 - Fabrosaurus. 3mm

3 - Prosauropod. 4mm

4 - Eudiomorphodon - 2mm. Another species I thought was from Italy.

Many thanks

Screenshot_20200517-011618_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200517-011723_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200517-011808_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200517-011857_Chrome.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1) Pterosaur tooth:  No idea what this is may be a pterosaur tooth, no idea but its not described in the Bull Canyon Fm.  Ask the seller to show you a publication that describes this morphology as a pterosaur tooth

2) Fabrosaurus tooth:  Parkers et al 2018 study reassigns this morphology of tooth from a Ornithischian to Pseudosuchia so archosaurs.  Not that familiar with Fabrosaurus but don't believe its North American but anyway not on any Faunal list from the west

3) Prosauropod tooth: No unambiguous sauropodomorph material has been collected and no teeth so its a big unknown.   This is also a partial tooth but my guess some sort of Archosaur.  Another specimen where you can ask the seller to provide you a publication that describes this morphology a Prosauropod tooth

4) Eudiomorphodon:  It does have the morphology of one so its probably fair to ID it as "cf Eudiomorphodon"  This is nice tooth

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks very much. I'll look more into the pterosaur and eudiomorphodon teeth.

I see other places selling pterosaur teeth from Bull Canyon as Peteinosaurus, which I also thought came from Italy. But could tooth number 1 be a peteinosaur?

I'll get more info on both.

None of the Italian Peteinosaur had skulls so a tooth ID might prove difficult but those sellers might enlightening you with a source. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Troodon

I did some further digging in the Eudimorphodon tooth.

Got in touch with a paleontology institute and their pterosaur expert who had done some work with Italian pterosaurs took a look. Figured you might be interested to see his opinion on the tooth.

"The tooth in the picture is different from the teeth of Eudimorphodon and other taxa with prevalent tri- to quinticuspid dentition (Carniadactylus, Seazzadactylus, Austriadraco etc.). It is more similar to some teeth of Austriadactylus, but it could belong to any archosauriform,in my opinion. Teeth morphology is convergent in many groups of Triassic reptiles, thus they are scarcely useful for a reliable taxomomical identification"

• I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, Troodon said:

Why its difficult to assign much from the Bull Canyon Fm.  Thanks

Hi Troodon,

A few years ago, a friend gave me a sandwich bag with some Bull Canyon matrix.  I found some tiny conical teeth, a few teeth like that "fabrosaur" which were called Revueltosaurus (now considered a pseudosuchian as you noted), a couple of serrated teeth that look more like a dinosaur (but maybe some other archosaur), and a few Reticulodus teeth, including one nice one.  You just don't get good jaw sections and bones in that.  You get lots of bits.  

Jess

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Troodon,

A few years ago, a friend gave me a sandwich bag with some Bull Canyon matrix.  I found some tiny conical teeth, a few teeth like that "fabrosaur" which were called Revueltosaurus (now considered a pseudosuchian as you noted), a couple of serrated teeth that look more like a dinosaur (but maybe some other archosaur), and a few Reticulodus teeth, including one nice one.  You just don't get good jaw sections and bones in that.  You get lots of bits.  

Jess

Gosh you just triggered a memory of a batch of Bull Canyon matrix I sorted ages and ages ago.  Need to go find out what I did with the finds.  But its pretty rich.  The problem we have identification of these teeth is that indeed everything is isolated no jaws with teeth to be able to describe.  

1) could be a range of things. I wonder if it might be fish, actually, or an amphibian like Koskinonodon.

2) could be Revueltosaurus or might be a silesaurid such as Kwanasaurus. Unlikely to be an ornithischian; there are no confirmable ornithischian fossils in the Triassic of North America.

3) this could be from a range of archosaurs. 

4) I have the gut feeling this is also silesaurid.

• I found this Informative 2