Poor Man’s Raft?

Megalodoodle

So I am in the process of building a raft in order to reach those backwoods fossil hunting spots. I really don’t want to spend the money on a canoe/kayak that I will only use a few times. Is this a waste of my time and effort?

The advantage to canoe/kayak is that in has a keel...it will go where you tell it to go.  Unless you design a first rate raft, you will spend a lot of time and energy zig zagging across the river/pond/lake/ocean.  There are some inexpensive infaltables out there.  Transportation problem solved.  

• I found this Informative 4

14 minutes ago, jpc said:

There are some inexpensive infaltables out there

My thinking exactly.  And when not in use, can be deflated to conserve space in the garage for more fossils.

• I found this Informative 1

Look at the Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks.  I use one and it works well on the Peace River.  I transport it in the back of my jeep rolled up in an oversized plastic laundry tub.  On arrival at the river - inflate with a foot pump and go.  On the return I slide it into the back of the jeep while inflated, release the plugs and fold it in for the return home. Storage in the garage is easy - rolled up in the plastic tub.  To top it off - it was "purchased" with credit card points.

• I found this Informative 2

And instead of the effort of a foot pump to fill an inflatable kayak you might consider looking into portable electric pumps. I just bought a rechargeable battery operated pump to fill an air mattress I'll be using next weekend. If you look online you can find ones that charge with a USB cable or that plug into a car's accessory power outlet (what used to be called a cigarette lighter but no so much these days). They are cheap and quick and can even be used in reverse to suck the air out of an inflated item to speed packing after use.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, digit said:

And instead of the effort of a foot pump to fill an inflatable kayak you might consider looking into portable electric pumps. I just bought a rechargeable battery operated pump to fill an air mattress I'll be using next weekend. If you look online you can find ones that charge with a USB cable or that plug into a car's accessory power outlet (what used to be called a cigarette lighter but no so much these days). They are cheap and quick and can even be used in reverse to suck the air out of an inflated item to speed packing after use.

Cheers.

-Ken

I have kept an electric air pump that connects to an accessory (cigarette lighter) port in my vehicle since I was 16. It has inflated many a low tire, and other random things over the years. They are cheap and have served me well over the years on the random occasion that I needed one. Highly recommended.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

My worry with inflatables is that they will pop easily. Any way to remedy this or will holes be a problem that I will have to deal with?

Seems like some are WAY too overpriced (why spend $500-$800 on an inflatable kayak when I could just buy a regular kayak for $200-$300?)

because you may not be able to transport a full sized canoe/kayak or dont want to / cant store one (think apartments, etc).  If you have no problem, then get the real deal.  Otherwise you have to start looking for alternatives that fit your situation.

I learned LONG ago that I'm better off buying a commercially made item than the time and expense to try to make my own version, ESPECIALLY when I'm not an expert in that field beforehand.  If you can find a good condition used one, then that is definitely the best bang for your buck.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I'm not sure what the OP's budget is, but it might be worthwhile to invest in a used kayak from a source like Craigslist. You can usually find a small, cheap, plastic kayak for $100 or less. I've seen them as low as $50 - they might have some scratches or dents, but as long as there are no major holes in the hull. A few strategically-placed pieces of gorilla tape can seal up tiny holes or reinforce weak spots. Of course, if you have a small vehicle, then this might be an issue. I have seen some very small kayaks that could be hauled in the trunk of an average-sized sedan, albeit with a portion sticking out the back and the trunk-lid tied down around it. @PODIGGER has had good luck with his inflatable.

As someone said above, building a raft sounds easy, but building a decent one is a fair amount of work and you might end up spending $50 or more on supplies to put it together. You might be able to find a used kayak or inflatable for the same money and less work.

EDIT : if you go the Craigslist route, set up an email alert or get in the habit of checking the new listings every few hours once you decide to buy. The best deals will get snapped up quick. Be ready to jump on a fresh listing, contact the seller, and jump in the car to go meet them. If somebody lists a decent kayak/canoe for $50 or less, it's going to be claimed within hours (maybe minutes). I've even seen a couple of canoes for free (curb alert).

• I found this Informative 2