Calvert Cliffs Find - Whale or Dugong Rib (Or cool rock)

HunterMeg

Hi,

Looking for identification.

It is the first hunt in a long time, and the kids and I were searching for shark teeth along the Calvert Cliff formation in Maryland.  

We found what we believe is a whale rib, but wanted to get some expert eyes on it.  It is approximately 10” by 4” and 2” thick.  It is dense weighing about 2 1/2 pounds. Almost has a “metal” fell to it.  The shape just looks too unique to be a rock.  We found it near a fresh fall section.

What do you think it is?  

C5751E8A-7E93-42B0-8DD7-F4508323B3D1.jpeg

14E7BEC0-1FF8-481A-BF48-F03BF34C0555.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Calvert Cliffs Find - Whale or Dugong Rib (Or cool rock)

Does it feel uniquely heavy in comparison to other whale material? I generally find Dugong can be quite heavy.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Yes.  It is noticeably heavier than any of the vertebrae I have found in the same area.

Yes.  It is noticeably heavier than any of the vertebrae I have found in the same area.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with @NSRhunter, it looks like ironstone to me. I find so much of it at one of the sites I frequent and it tricks me into bending over to pick it up more times than not!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Ironstone at home in the bay. 

IMG_1630 a.jpg

Chesapeake Ranch? 

Thank you for the info.  The unique shape had me thinking it was bone, but it does feel more “rock” like.   

5 hours ago, NSRhunter said:

Chesapeake Ranch

I wouldn't be surprised if it had migrated that way buy now. It was north of Matoaka in 2010. :)