Help needed with this spherical object

awb8432390

Afternoon all.

Found this little stone amongst the gravel on the driveway. We've found many fossils in the gravel including Belemnites, shells etc. But we've never seen anything like this. The surface is fairly smooth but you can feel slight 'pitting'. The inner material is coarse and hard, with a similarity to sandstone. The object is about 3cm in all directions, and almost spherical. Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot_20200517_155433_com.android.gallery3d.jpg  IMG_20200517_154536.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, I also agree it is not an egg, but likely a tumbled cobble of some sort. The presence of pitting like this is likely on account of differential weathering. Usually with fossil eggs we'll see a bit of fracturing and cracks from the thin egg shell. I'm not sure if your area is known for finding fossil egg shells, but certainly very exciting (and convenient!) to find belemnites and other marine fauna so close by!

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, I also agree it is not an egg, but likely a tumbled cobble of some sort. The presence of pitting like this is likely on account of differential weathering. Usually with fossil eggs will see a bit of fracturing and cracks from the thin egg shell. I'm not sure if your area is known for finding fossil egg shells, but certainly very exciting (and convenient!) to find belemnites and other marine fauna so close by!

Thanks. I'm sure the gravel came from a quarry in the south of England. We can pretty much pick up a handful of stones and find something interesting. 

Great site and thanks for the quick replies. 

It's a sponge in a flint nodule (from the Cretaceous Chalk). Anything strange in flint is quite likely to be a sponge and there are many kinds. :)

Tarquin