Jump to content
minnbuckeye

My last Decorah Shale Trip.

Recommended Posts

FossilDAWG

So, these were all from one trip?  Pretty good trip I'd say!

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bev

Great finds, Mike! Super photography too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
18 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

 

Secondly, @DMcLY posted a picture of a Srophomena hash plate this week. I think these are 2 pictures of the inside of the concave pedicle valve showing the muscle attachment and the inside convex brachial valve of a Strophomena. It may help you visualize what you found. So each specimen shows the INTERIOR of the brachiopod.

 

 DSC_0307-001.thumb.JPG.e24c007d6f4d4a512549b39ecfab4730.JPG 

 

DSC_0306-001.JPG.9a55ae6bc326a53d4b93ae015d4f2eb3.JPG  

 

 

No, the top one is the pedicle valve interior, but the bottom one is a the pedicle valve exterior. Two sides of the same valve.

This is a brachial valve interior (top) with a pedicle valve exterior beneath it. 

Strophomena6.thumb.jpg.54b7b11ddae5eae6fcd534cfc05eba64.jpg

Some of those hash plates are stunning, particularly some of the orthid ones. The prepping is superb. :b_love1::brachiopod::drool::envy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ricardo

Great  :brachiopod: plates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minnbuckeye
12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

No, the top one is the pedicle valve interior, but the bottom one is a the pedicle valve exterior. Two sides of the same valve.

This is a brachial valve interior (top) with a pedicle valve exterior beneath it. 

Corrected this! Thanks.

 

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Some of those hash plates are stunning, particularly some of the orthid ones. The prepping is superb

 

22 minutes ago, Bev said:

Great finds, Mike! Super photography too!

 

22 minutes ago, Bev said:

Great finds, Mike! Super photography too!

 

Thanks Bev! 

 

@Tidgy's Dad NO prep on the orthids. That is how they were found. Just scrubbed up to get the dirt off of them!!!! Otherwise I used just a razor blade to clean the others up a bit, but most would have been photogenic without assistance! 

 

27 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

So, these were all from one trip?

 

@FossilDAWG Yes. This site is extremely productive and the brachiopods are so well preserved. You could just sit on the ground and pick up specimens like this without needing to move around. This might be a slight exaggeration. But I think you would only need to move a few times and NO rock splitting necessary..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

 

@Tidgy's Dad NO prep on the orthids. That is how they were found. Just scrubbed up to get the dirt off of them!!!! Otherwise I used just a razor blade to clean the others up a bit, but most would have been photogenic without assistance! 

Double WOW!  ! !:default_faint:

Nature can be the best prepper, sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

What a brachiopod bonanza!!!  Nice stuff, Mike! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grimlock

Beautiful finds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuMert

That's a load of pretty brachs:D Nice preservation and prepwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×