Bone or Tooth?

Chris33

Hey this little thing is driving me bonkers, most times I’m close to ball parking what some thing is but this I have no idea. Is it just sediment ? It’s ivory white on the outside with a chocolate brown inner layer and a light brown swirl at the center. 

65ACC56A-BA81-4219-81A7-9A66E4EC0798.jpeg

D982B0B2-466F-4412-913E-41B2BDD768DC.jpeg

BD2C9268-268B-4C55-BB82-1FAAEF257DA4.jpeg

D2A95A2E-D070-4CD8-86BB-D3272BA13DCA.jpeg

On a beach in Goderich, no other pieces like it around. Very smooth. Not sharp edges. I’ll be kind of embarrassed if it’s just sediment lol

I'm sorry to say, but it will likely be something like chert. Much of what washes up in Goderich would be Devonian-aged sediments and other glacial erratics. Some great skipping stones there, though! :D 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

haha oh ok thanks man i wondered it use seemed so bizarre and out of place. Haven’t seen on like it before but I’m no Alan Grant lol

:D 

Well, if you find your way back there at some point, you might want to try along the Maitland River. There are some exposures of Dundee and possibly earlier Devonian material. And if you like fossil coral, you'll likely find your fill!

• I found this Informative 1

I honestly just want to find one good specimen of trilobite and little meteorite 

I’ll check that out too. I’ll make my way up to craigleith and kincardine 

You might have more luck at Arkona, too. Complete trilobites from the Devonian are otherwise quite uncommon. Kincardine won't likely have much -- there is just not enough exposures. Craigleith area is a great plan for Ordovician trilobites in the shale, but the trick will be to find exposures as nearly all the lakefront is private property or provincial park where collecting is not permitted. I can't help on the meteorite. :P 

Ya I’ go to Arkona regularly but yet nothing and good to know about the trilobite. I’ll try Craigleith but you’re right I forgot to factor in both private property and the whole “no collecting allowed” thing. I just can’t afford the online price for fossils which may or may not be 3D printed lol or carved lol