Douglas Pass, CO. Green River Fm Larvae

Tony G.

Went up to Douglas Pass, Colorado today for a hike with my wife.  I have always hunted for fossils at the Radar Dome location.  Today we decided to scout around for another location to collect.  Hiked up a very steep hill to a shale exposure and found this larvae after only 1 minute of looking.  We had not come prepared today to collect anything.  Will probably head back up next weekend.  The larvae is approx 2.25 cm across.  There are also some parts of other larvae on the piece.

IMG_3611.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Nice find! :)

Hope you can get back to it and get it home safely. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice find! :)

Hope you can get back to it and get it home safely. 

I did take this one piece home.  Since I was not prepared to do any collecting today, I didn't try to dig for anything.

I think that is Lithophypoderma. You can find some slabs completely covered with them.

• I found this Informative 4

What a find! :drool:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice find! I found a similar one back in 2018 when I visited that spot. I also climbed up a steep hill but my goal was to find an isolated place to take a leak lol, instead I found this.

5ec206204a961_IMG_3114(3).thumb.JPG.b6b3db254e8f006035d9369ca2742959.JPG

Congrats on a cool insect fossil!

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

More fossils from Douglas pass found on Memorial Day. Soapberry leaves?  Seed with stem.  Larvae mass mortality plate.  I found the larvae plate in a whole lot of pieces.  Going to try and re-assemble and clean it up. Looks like there are several different species on these.  Also found several very small insects that are well preserved, but I don't have a camera capable of taking photos of something that small. (or maybe my camera skills need improving)

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Beautiful stuff!  I especially like the plant - it looks like it could still be alive! :o:dinothumb: