How many times dit it happen to you ?

taj

Recently it happened to me again : a fossil that for all purposes actively jumped into my bag . I'm not talking about stuff that is unexpectedly uncovered by careful preparation , but fossils that were lying under our noses and decided ,for once , to take the leap instead of remaining hidden in the trash pile on site . The kind of find that stops you and have you scratch your head , thinking ,"where is that fellow coming from ?". 

Last discovery happened in the ordovician of Quebec , packing the day's finding ; I came to that one and then stopped .Wait :I only found one complete Flexy on this trip , and it is already safely tucked in my bag .Where is this one coming from ?In fact it was hidden in the back of a plate with a promising hint of flexy on the other side . I never checked the under side until packing time ....You can see the underside poking out of the bottom right angle of the original plate ...

The only other occurence goes back further in time and far away , in the cenomanian of South east of France , where  I picked this nice bivalve stuff  , only to discover at home the heteromorph hidden underneath!

How many time did that happen to you ?

IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG IMG_3107.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG 

• I found this Informative 5

Too many times :P. Smashed this piece of bonebed off a boulder and when I’m back at home examining it, I find a really nice cream coloured bone (most are black). 8EA75DA3-CA4E-4837-A3FA-0A4B3A474B16.thumb.jpeg.85f8b3055675bcb4cf676da0a7d3a10b.jpeg

This was underneath

53B914BC-6C69-40C7-A3FF-990E65DADB05.thumb.jpeg.35ffa61e7ca99d45fbcda5cdfd7277ea.jpeg

Since most of my finds are Cretaceous era, they are usually not plates with variety of stuff in them, so are usually single specimens. But occasionally it does happen! This little fragment of  Modiolus clam had a cool little checkerboard patterned  gastropod next to it which I did not even see until I got it photographed! 

5ec2f3489bdf9_Bivalvemodiolus.thumb.JPG.e44f3ee888e8cf17ae83fb16b6ad1415.JPG