Florida Calcite Coral Finger or Fulgurite?

Bronzviking

image.thumb.jpeg.a51b8be302999f5b6ba6b5e94db92309.jpegimage.jpeg.be75505bb83627be2d43db15ca77bf51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dd41f41f6a5c65af86cab3e8967f04b4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c35a34d1ea5b95d39556912625427742.jpegimage.jpeg.6e87ab00013f8298847469a23fd26b2c.jpeg

Hello again, This is an interesting find found at the causeway in Tampa Bay, Florida last year. Looks like calcite covered coral or a sand fused fulgurite which I'd prefer to add to my collection, lol. What do you guys think? Thanks!

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I will speculate in favor of fulgurite!

I like that answer but I read most fulgurites are hollow and mine isn't.

The 4th photo in the OP shows what appear to be vertical ridges along the "stem" of the specimen before it gets covered up with the "coating".  Could you get a closer view of these structures.  I'd like to see if they show any sub-structure.  The vertical  structures don't conform with the idea of fulgurite to my way of thinking.

• I found this Informative 1

11 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Tough call. fulgurites usually have a really smooth glassy interior. Yours looks like it has a calcareous interior. You could try putting a drop of vinegar on the sandy portion to see if it fizzes. If it does, I doubt it is a fulgurite.

Surprisingly it does Not fizz with vinegar but it does have a calcareous core like you pointed out. What now?

11 hours ago, grandpa said:

The 4th photo in the OP shows what appear to be vertical ridges along the "stem" of the specimen before it gets covered up with the "coating".  Could you get a closer view of these structures.  I'd like to see if they show any sub-structure.  The vertical  structures don't conform with the idea of fulgurite to my way of thinking.

I zoomed in on the stem. This is why I questioned fulgurite too, but it sure looks like fused sand and didn't fizz with vinegar so we can rule out calcite right?

stem.jpg

5 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Yep. Does the "stem" fizz?

No it doesn't. So what is your conclusion?

I don't know that much about fulgurites. I have a couple from Morocco. I'm guessing it was fused by heat. I wonder what fulgurites look like when lightning hits something other than sand. If it were me, I would take a blowtorch to a piece of fossil coral to see what it does. Test it with vinegar before and then test it again if it survives a blowtorch test. Have any coral pieces you don't care about? If you do this, be sure to wear safety glasses. :D

14 hours ago, grandpa said:

The vertical  structures don't conform with the idea of fulgurite to my way of thinking.

maybe something along Dentalium sp.?

The latest pict still leaves me doubting fulgurite.  If possible, I would like to see a closer photo of the "ridges of the core" showing the micro-structure of the "ridge" area.  It looks like the one prominent ridge in the pict has "sections" along its length.  That is also a curious feature and may be helpful in ID with magnification.  I'm not sure what I'm seeing, but it gives me the sense of an organic core as opposed to a fulgurite.  Don't know if this helps; maybe someone will recognize the core structure.

• I found this Informative 3

On 5/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, GeschWhat said:

I don't know that much about fulgurites. I have a couple from Morocco. I'm guessing it was fused by heat. I wonder what fulgurites look like when lightning hits something other than sand. If it were me, I would take a blowtorch to a piece of fossil coral to see what it does. Test it with vinegar before and then test it again if it survives a blowtorch test. Have any coral pieces you don't care about? If you do this, be sure to wear safety glasses. :D

Thanks for your input but I don't have a blow torch or insurance, Lol.