Can you identify these?

Dawn Hopkins

I am fairly new to this so I am hoping you can help me. I found these items in Big Brook here in New Jersey. I numbered them so you could use the numbers to comment. I know the hook (#5) isn't a fossil but I was hoping someone could direct me, it is metal but seems old as the other end of the hook has crusted over in something that feels like stone (or maybe it was made this way) I think #4 is an ancient drum fish crusher tooth with a little jaw left on it? #3 is some sort of tooth but not sure what, #2 is also a tooth, you can see the small tooth at bottom coming out of the jaw, it is shiny. and #1 maybe vertebrae? I also put a few teeth that I found that were pretty good size I think for that river to show you. Thank you for any help you can give!

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Hi,

number 4 is definitely a drumfish peice

number 3 looks to be a crab claw and one of the bigger ones ive seen assuming you collected this from the same spots ive been

can you please take closeups of 2 and 1?

Pictures flipped. 

IMG_1571.jpg.45333531e1e5d262c7ff1c97df68d635.jpg   IMG_1570.jpg.f96f8c9c5da3cb085ec69e6efddf011c.jpg

We'll need better pictures/more angles on 1, 2, 3, and 5. 

Front, back Sides, top, and bottoms. 

THIS WEBSITE is a good aid to ID brook finds from NJ.  

#4 looks like a crusher tooth from Anomaeodus phasolus

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

#5 has the curvature and overall look of an ice hook. Google it. Back from before electric refrigerators. The shank is covered in rust crust and the grey-ish part is probably clay that has saturated the pores in the rust. I am not very familiar with Jersey teeth, so I'll let the others help with the ID of those pieces.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

# 1 is a probably a peice of snail and #2 is probably ghost shrimp claw

I hunt alot in brook areas in NJ and I see these peices alot, although they arent super quality pics, it looks to be right. Better pics will confirm.

So overall

#1 snail piece

#2 ghost shrimp claw in matrix

#3 crab claw

#4 crusher tooth from Anomaeodus phasolus like fossildude19 said

Hi, number 1 looks like the root of a rostral tooth. Number 3 looks like a tooth either from enchodus protrusus or x- fish. 

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

#5 has the curvature and overall look of an ice hook. Google it. Back from before electric refrigerators. The shank is covered in rust crust and the grey-ish part is probably clay that has saturated the pores in the rust. I am not very familiar with Jersey teeth, so I'll let the others help with the ID of those pieces.

Thank you, yes that does look like an ice hook. The clay part was throwing me off, I wasn't seeing that on the ice hooks but clay makes sense thank you!

9 hours ago, FossilizedJello said:

Hi,

number 4 is definitely a drumfish peice

number 3 looks to be a crab claw and one of the bigger ones ive seen assuming you collected this from the same spots ive been

can you please take closeups of 2 and 1?

Thank you for responding. Here are 3 photo's each of 1,2 and 3 to confirm it is a crab claw. Thank you again!

long tooth 2.jpg

long tooth 1.jpg

long tooth.jpg

vertabrae 2.jpg

vertabrae 1.jpg

vertabrae.jpg

jaw and tooth 2.jpg

jaw and tooth 1.jpg

jaw and tooth.jpg

8 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Pictures flipped. 

IMG_1571.jpg.45333531e1e5d262c7ff1c97df68d635.jpg   IMG_1570.jpg.f96f8c9c5da3cb085ec69e6efddf011c.jpg

We'll need better pictures/more angles on 1, 2, 3, and 5. 

Front, back Sides, top, and bottoms. 

THIS WEBSITE is a good aid to ID brook finds from NJ.  

#4 looks like a crusher tooth from Anomaeodus phasolus

Hi Tim, thank you for your response. I did go to that website but still couldn't ID anything but the crusher tooth. Here are 3 pics each of 1,2 and 3. I think 5 is an ice hook. I appreciate your help. Dawn

long tooth 2.jpg

long tooth 1.jpg

long tooth.jpg

vertabrae 2.jpg

vertabrae 1.jpg

vertabrae.jpg

jaw and tooth 2.jpg

jaw and tooth 1.jpg

jaw and tooth.jpg

2 hours ago, jonnyquest said:

Hi, number 1 looks like the root of a rostral tooth. Number 3 looks like a tooth either from enchodus protrusus or x- fish. 

Thank you, that helps!

Yeah, I would say I was accurate based on my experience. Thats actually a nice one of the ghost shrimp claw, I attached some pics (bottom left fossil with dime) . I am pretty sure thats a fossil crab claw possibly even a small pincer shown in the one pic, otherwise it may be enchodus petrosus. It kind of looks like a snail fragment I have, ill see if I can get a pic. Does the "pincer" have the dotted pattern

both_claws_web.JPG

ghost_shrimp_parts_web.JPG

second_claw_web.JPG

So, I think Johnny Quest actually got 1 and 3.  @jonnyquest

# 1 is a root of a Sawfish Rostral "tooth".

# is an Enchodus or Xiphactinus tooth. (Probably Enchodus, though)

I can't place #2, ghost shrimp claw is possible, but I'm having a hard time seeing it. 

Maybe @Carl can have a look at that one. 

Ice hook sounds as good as anything for # 5 to me. :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2020 at 9:15 AM, Fossildude19 said:

So, I think Johnny Quest actually got 1 and 3.  @jonnyquest

# 1 is a root of a Sawfish Rostral "tooth".

# is an Enchodus or Xiphactinus tooth. (Probably Enchodus, though)

I can't place #2, ghost shrimp claw is possible, but I'm having a hard time seeing it. 

Maybe @Carl can have a look at that one. 

Ice hook sounds as good as anything for # 5 to me. :shrug:

#2 definitely strikes me as one of those weird ironstone creations so common in the brooks. Not likely a fossil.

I can’t see #5’s texture well from these pics, but it also could be lignite. Probably not though.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal