A Blind Hunt Trade to honor Caldigger

joshuajbelanger

On 5/25/2020 at 8:31 PM, joshuajbelanger said:

And finally @mattbsharks will be trading his funky fresh fools gold plants for some of @Wrangellian's Cretaceous stuff.

OK, sounds good to me if it's ok with Matt. I actually managed to get up there today and came home with some things so I'm somewhat relieved. Everything requires a lot of careful stabilization with glue, however. This is how it is unless I start putting my back into it and breaking apart boulders of shale, if I find one that's not a waste of effort to do so (and even then glue is often required).

I'd like to go up at least one more time to see what else I can get before I decide what goes in the package.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

OK, sounds good to me if it's ok with Matt. I actually managed to get up there today and came home with some things so I'm somewhat relieved. Everything requires a lot of careful stabilization with glue, however. This is how it is unless I start putting my back into it and breaking apart boulders of shale, if I find one that's not a waste of effort to do so (and even then glue is often required).

I'd like to go up at least one more time to see what else I can get before I decide what goes in the package.

Yeah, I’m making a rough transition from peace river to white river.  I’ve actually had to start plastering fossils.  I’m used to them being solid and stable, but these guys require a delicate touch.  It’s ok though, I enjoy the challenge.

5 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Yeah, I’m making a rough transition from peace river to white river.  I’ve actually had to start plastering fossils.  I’m used to them being solid and stable, but these guys require a delicate touch.  It’s ok though, I enjoy the challenge.

The Peace River will spoil a person. It just throws the fossils at you. Shark teeth and dugong ribs just jump into my kayak as I paddle along. No jackhammer required.

• I found this Informative 3

Sorry I was out of town with out internet for the weekend.  I was hunting in the upper Devonian of north east Iowa.  

• I found this Informative 1

@JamieLynn, package mailed out. No room for packing material so maybe those geodes will be opened by the time it arrives on Monday.

Received my wonderful package from @JamieLynn today! She is a great trading partner. Will post some pics soon. 

Mike

7 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Received my wonderful package from @JamieLynn today! She is a great trading partner. Will post some pics soon. 

Mike

Ooooh, I'm curious to see what you got! She spoiled me in our trade of 'common fossils', so I'm eager to see what rarer stuff she gave you :D 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I saw this post too late.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Mike

Glad you like em!!! I JUST finished unpacking the box I got from you....WOW!! wow oh wow. I can't WAIT to get some good photos! It's been too cloudy here in Texas for good photos, so hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow, because these lovely white crystal beauties need some good lighting! 

@minnbuckeye  YOU TRICKED ME!!!!! You tricked me GOOD!  I thought I would try my hand at the little geodes before I tackled the big one. Banged away at them for a while to no avail (gonna have to get the husband after them, he's a stone mason, so should make short work of em) . So I thought what the heck, hopefully the big one will be easier to crack open. AND YES IT WAS....MUCH easier! And I swear for a moment, I thought it had GOLD in it!!  You sneaky bugger! Love it. Thanks for the declicious butterschotchy interior of that Geode! Plus, it's really pretty too! hahahhahah!! Good one, man, Good one. 

I neglected to get a picture of the geode before I went after it with a hammer...should have. Just so y'all know.....it just looked like a round rock with a kind of sandy colored matrix. I never would have guessed it had been "fixed"!!! 

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.855cdd3074933674c2bccd38d6199e51.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

12 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

I neglected to get a picture of the geode before I went after it with a hammer...should have. Just so y'all know.....it just looked like a round rock with a kind of sandy colored matrix. I never would have guessed it had been "fixed"!!! 

Brilliant! :default_rofl:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Here are my fossil treasures provided by JamieLynn.  

DSC_0405-001.thumb.JPG.d5ccc93e688ded30245f31746310421f.JPGDSC_0406-001.thumb.JPG.00f3a1796225ac013a4391f5f0e09738.JPGDSC_0407-001.JPG.1720cd0cf8fe15b93524d0322778708b.JPGDSC_0408-001.JPG.d4c0785e4dd4e5d60587d10ecce7ba90.JPGDSC_0400-002.JPG.53409434cc83ca7985ba687b9d073e1e.JPGDSC_0402.thumb.JPG.500109c397cba01de051aa762d3cf67a.JPGDSC_0403.thumb.JPG.c4cf7793340b70ec26eb1c1651355780.JPGDSC_0404-001.thumb.JPG.dc8e9d032c1c38c1300f2e8ee6667d5c.JPG

I'm a little jealous, yes.... Some interesting things in there, esp. the Porocystis and the oyster with worm tube, I think.

I'm sure we're all going to receive some nice things but we can't all trade with each other!

17 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm a little jealous, yes....

Just making sure everyone knows I was joking. With this group of members involved in trades, there will be many outstanding fossils traded. 

Mike

On 6/2/2020 at 3:55 PM, JamieLynn said:

@minnbuckeye  YOU TRICKED ME!!!!! You tricked me GOOD!  I thought I would try my hand at the little geodes before I tackled the big one. Banged away at them for a while to no avail (gonna have to get the husband after them, he's a stone mason, so should make short work of em) . So I thought what the heck, hopefully the big one will be easier to crack open. AND YES IT WAS....MUCH easier! And I swear for a moment, I thought it had GOLD in it!!  You sneaky bugger! Love it. Thanks for the declicious butterschotchy interior of that Geode! Plus, it's really pretty too! hahahhahah!! Good one, man, Good one. 

IMG_0020.thumb.JPG.855cdd3074933674c2bccd38d6199e51.JPG

@JamieLynn and @minnbuckeye-That’s an old rock!  That’s also an old person piece of candy from an even OLDER man!   :heartylaugh:

6 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

old person piece of candy

@joshuajbelanger I can't take credit for providing a taste of vintage candy (my wife picked it up, we do not typically keep candy in the house). Age on the other hand, I can own! 

Mike

Here are a couple of shots of what I received from @fishguy. I was pretty happy, I have very few cephalopods in my collection (and none from the Devonian!) and he sent me some very nice ones. I've spent the past couple days piecing these together, I only have a few bits left that I can't place. Quite a fun jigsaw puzzle.

IMG_8584.thumb.jpg.8a06a4f0a7f26b53ed7bab4433887de6.jpg

IMG_8580.thumb.jpg.4ce99944676e6ad200f7e1ac62f4da2d.jpg

IMG_8581.thumb.jpg.01c688dd66b970164b86f34e947a284c.jpg

IMG_8582.thumb.jpg.a24d6eab58bd351602f7eaaeaf90afee.jpg

IMG_8583.thumb.jpg.313811214cca5212413fa44949d549df.jpg

4 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice representation! Did they break on transport?

No, they came out from the rock like that, which seems pretty common for larger cephs (from my limited experience anyways).

Great stuff @connorp!

Max Derème