A Blind Hunt Trade to honor Caldigger

joshuajbelanger

I thought it would be more fun to put the puzzles together.  The fossils are found in hard limestone and it is almost impossible to get them out in one piece.  

• I found this Informative 2

FINALLY got around to getting some pics of my fossil trade with @minnbuckeye -  Missisippian fauna which have proved to be a little tricky to photograph since they are gorgeous white fossils!  I will not be posting ALL I got because i got a whole big box full! So here are my absolute faves: 

The Crinoids!!! I have only found a couple of crinoid bulbs on my own, so these are just the best....such variety of shape and size! Burlington Formation from Iowa.

These are all 1 inch

5ee14d4f5e9b3_BurlingtonForm(3).thumb.JPG.83ed8e4f945f88889a2c99969f4f2f32.JPG

5ee14d50a01f6_BurlingtonForm(7).thumb.JPG.849b4128a44709ea2c3982cda03ed42c.JPG

5ee14d51e77b5_BurlingtonForm(16).thumb.JPG.1cb8793a09b0cc0f6a5fc4a66751754b.JPG

I believe this one is a bulb with a couple of partial arms! 

5ee14d9a319cf_BurlingtonForm(66).thumb.JPG.2ec2b7745e598786e52cabec0ddcf943.JPG

And then this monster which he said is a holdfast infilled with crinoid segments! It didn't photograph too well, but it is really big.....almost 3 inches diameter

5ee14ddac60c1_BurlingtonForm(42).thumb.JPG.6b2b2f5da17bd3aa5a77469e9306efa5.JPG

A couple of individual crinoid cup pieces which I thought the pattern was really cool:

1/2 inch:

IMG_0517.thumb.JPG.52ddc3b869c9da7df5f8e6bcd524bd61.JPG

1/2 inch:

IMG_0515.thumb.JPG.0c249b5da16b2cf38e84cc751a034e7b.JPG

And a lovely big horn coral:

5ee14f048e2e1_BurlingtonForm(54).thumb.JPG.5e0711225c36e88118c484d2d6e65b3a.JPG

And then, from the Keokuc Formation (also from Iowa) ...the trilobites! Well, their tails, anyways :

1/2 inch

5ee14e647edc0_KeokukForm(1).thumb.JPG.fc7252268a48363b5fbb2b15575b8ba9.JPG

5ee14e917439a_KeokukForm(2).thumb.JPG.cabd6ad4c1272e4229a50307fbb83274.JPG

And apparently the black bits are shark teeth!

5ee14ec7db757_BurlingtonForm(60).thumb.JPG.2a71a6a642c8b2e89f42e2a2634163c8.JPG

5ee14ec64a8de_BurlingtonForm(56).thumb.JPG.cc78efc59f94dadc9ab83a7b22bbc7fc.JPG

There is so much more that I could show, so many beautiful specimens! Thank you so much Mike!!!! 

I'll leave with a couple more favorites - the first is a brachipod which has amazing pattern on it....I don't know if this is patterning from the original shell, but it's lovely. And, lastly, I am happy to have a piece of Oolitic limestone. I remember it from Geology class way back when....always loved the word oolitic  and now I have a little chunk!! 

5ee1503a5f687_KeokukForm(5).thumb.JPG.e5bab2533117493ab393a180be8819b4.JPG

Oolite: 

Keokuk Form.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

@JamieLynn That’s some nice stuff! And btw it’s Keokuk not Keokuc ;)

The first “shark tooth” might be a crusher tooth, the second possibly a partial petalodont tooth. Hard to tell from the pictures though.

• I found this Informative 1

They were nice teeth when collected but disintegrated on the way home. I need to preserve these on site.

6 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

@connorp Thank you!  I will get them under the microscope camera and get some better pics. May I send them to you for ID confirmation? 

I will certainly take a look.

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

They were nice teeth when collected but disintegrated on the way home. I need to preserve these on site.

Is the Keokuk matrix really thick-grained? I have handled some teeth from the Burlington Limestone in western IL, and the thick grains make the teeth super friable. They look stable, but a small tap can shatter a nice tooth...

39 minutes ago, connorp said:

They look stable, but a small tap can shatter a nice tooth...

EXACTLY!!!!!!        I found many nice teeth only to be disappointed when arriving home. How do you deal with this?  @connorp

By the way, Jamie, Glad you liked my exchange gift. Were the geodes duds??? If so, I may slip a good one in the mail.

3 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

EXACTLY!!!!!!        I found many nice teeth only to be disappointed when arriving home. How do you deal with this?  @connorp.

I would think field consolidation would be best if possible, although I don't do this out of laziness. The Pennsylvanian teeth I normally hunt are not as friable as these but can still shatter. So I usually put a piece of masking tape over the tooth, wrap it in paper towel, and put it in it's own specimen bag. If the tooth breaks, most bits are stuck to the tape, and if the fragments are not too small I piece the tooth back together.

On 6/10/2020 at 3:46 PM, minnbuckeye said:

I use a low viscosity field prep consolidate.  I just bought a ton from paleobond, if you would like, I’ll send you a tube.

First off, it would appear that everyone is having a good time and getting some really killer specimens!  @caldigger would be proud, or at least I like to imagine.  

Secondly, prep-prep consolidate is an absolute must for fragile collecting.  It’s simple to do, and a little goes a long way-no weight in your bag. I’ve learned this the hard way in

Colorado.  Everything in my white river formation must be either plastered or prepped on the spot.  Prepping on the spot isn’t as nearly time consuming as plastering, but there are some negative effects if you aren’t careful.  I find a yellowing of the glue occurs in the field for some reason, and there is also the possibility of pieces not lining up exactly when you get home.  I’ll post some examples if you guys want.  That being said-every bone I pull out is stable for the ride home and more.  We spend so much finding the fossils, what is another 30$ to get them home in one piece?

Also-I got my package in from @Monica today!!!!!  Guys, she went all out!  I don’t know how many of you traded with her before, but she is so meticulous with the descriptions and packing that I am truly embarrassed with my package to her.

Not only is it a box jammed packed with goodies(and amazing ids), but she also took the time to pm me incredible detail about locations and formations...she also sent a piece that actually brought me to tears(after a very heart tugging pm)...

I don’t know what more to say, I’ll post pics tomorrow...thank you so much @Monica

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Also-I got my package in from @Monica today!!!!!  Guys, she went all out!  I don’t know how many of you traded with her before, but she is so meticulous with the descriptions and packing that I am truly embarrassed with my package to her.

Not only is it a box jammed packed with goodies(and amazing ids), but she also took the time to pm me incredible detail about locations and formations...she also sent a piece that actually brought me to tears(after a very heart tugging pm)...

I don’t know what more to say, I’ll post pics tomorrow...thank you so much @Monica

Oooooh... Really excited to see what you've gotten! 

I've sent my package to @will stevenson about 2 weeks ago, so it should be arriving anytime now... 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Oooooh... Really excited to see what you've gotten! 

I've sent my package to @will stevenson about 2 weeks ago, so it should be arriving anytime now... 

Can’t wait! mine should be arriving at you as well soon but I’ve had a lot of shopping delays recently

1 minute ago, will stevenson said:

Can’t wait! mine should be arriving at you as well soon but I’ve had a lot of shopping delays recently

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if shipping takes a bit longer with this whole crisis... Makes it all more exciting! 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

You're very welcome, @joshuajbelanger!  I'm glad that you're happy with what I sent - it's just a bunch of fossils from the locations I've visited here in southern Ontario. 

(Not everyone is excited about the Paleozoic, but I am, and I'm happy to hear that Joshua is, too :))

As for being meticulous with my packaging - that's definitely true (right, Eric @Wrangellian:P)

Re: shipping - I had some issues with this very package.  I mailed off the box of fossils to Joshua on Friday, May 29th, and the tracking number showed that it had been accepted at the post office that day.  Well, I checked back periodically, and the tracking information wasn't updated for almost 2 weeks!!!  I finally called the post office on June 10th and they said they had no idea where the package was, and they suggested that I call Canada Post proper.  So I did.  I waited on the phone for almost an hour before I spoke to someone, and the person I spoke to suggested that I report the package as lost/missing since she had no more information than I did on the whereabouts of the package.  So I did that, too.  Well, you can imagine my excitement when I checked the tracking number a couple of days later and noticed that the package had moved to its "processing" location!!!  And, funnily enough, Joshua received the package just 5 days after that update!!!  So it appears that the box was lost/missing for 2 weeks, but when it was found it only took the postal service 5 days to deliver it all the way to Colorado!!!  That's actually very quick service (once the package was located).

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I just bought a ton from paleobond, if you would like, I’ll send you a tube.

@joshuajbelangerThanks for the offer!!!! I do have a consolidant that I just need to remember to take with me.  

Mike

Alrighty!  Welcome to ole BEE-langer's prehistoric Paleozoic bonanza!

RenderedContent-0F453208-BE41-490B-96F7-3C5E42F4DC26.JPG

RenderedContent-00DEA459-73E0-4E3E-B9CC-0A07B85F80EE.JPG

RenderedContent-0CF3A4AB-094A-4B03-A855-051BF3DCAD9E.JPG

RenderedContent-1A0F4DFE-EB06-458F-934D-7A0187A8F097.JPG

What the heck man? I shrunk all of the photos down, and they are well under the limit, but it's not letting me post!  ARRRRGHGHGHGH.  You sent too many fossils, @Monica, I guess?  I suppose I'll have to type this all out by hand...lol

The awesomeness of the Paleozoic gifts are as follows-two cool gastropods in matrix, two brachiopods in matrix that is actually tabulate coral, a positive and negative rostroconchia, some very cool little trilobites(who doesn't love a trilo?), some nice sized cytirconic nautiloids(one in matrix, one out), bivalve in matrix, stromatoporoids in matrix, two very nice examples of tabulate coral, a pair of tabulate and rugose coral, and my new personal favorite, a rock with scoledonts!  Apparently, @caldigger had asked for the scoledonts for his collection, so if he found it to be a worthy piece, I very much trust that it is.

Man...my fingers are tired from typing all of these names.  Hmmmm, something isn't right though, if you look closely you will see a dinosaur specimen in the mix.  That can't be right?!  Are you trying to pull a fast one on me @Monica?  You know I'm a geologist right?  A poor one that isn't very good at his job, but a geologist nonetheless!

Again, thank you so so much for all the wonderful gifts.  You did go a little overboard on the packing material, these things are very much solid as rock!  I hope you enjoy your package at least half as much as I enjoy mine!

-J

I'm glad you liked what I sent @joshuajbelanger

As for the fossils you sent to me... Apparently they tried to deliver your box o' goodies this morning, but I was at work today (supervising students as they returned their textbooks and cleaned out their lockers) and my husband took the kids to pick up their indoor shoes from school right at the moment when the postal carrier tried to deliver the package - great timing, right? :P  It'll apparently be ready for pickup at the post office tomorrow after 1pm so hopefully I'll be able to upload some photos tomorrow - stay tuned... :)

52 minutes ago, Monica said:

I'm glad you liked what I sent @joshuajbelanger

As for the fossils you sent to me... Apparently they tried to deliver your box o' goodies this morning, but I was at work today (supervising students as they returned their textbooks and cleaned out their lockers) and my husband took the kids to pick up their indoor shoes from school right at the moment when the postal carrier tried to deliver the package - great timing, right? :P  It'll apparently be ready for pickup at the post office tomorrow after 1pm so hopefully I'll be able to upload some photos tomorrow - stay tuned... :)

we’ll, don’t worry if you don’t hear from me, I’ll be heading out deep into no cell/internet country for the weekend.  Doing a bit of insect/leaf fossil hunting.  I hope everything arrives in one piece.

20 hours ago, Monica said:

As for being meticulous with my packaging - that's definitely true (right, Eric @Wrangellian:P)

It is true... perhaps meaning a little more work unpacking but it does the trick!

6 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

we’ll, don’t worry if you don’t hear from me, I’ll be heading out deep into no cell/internet country for the weekend.  Doing a bit of insect/leaf fossil hunting.  I hope everything arrives in one piece.

Best of luck in your fossil hunt this weekend! 

10 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

What the heck man? I shrunk all of the photos down, and they are well under the limit, but it's not letting me post!  ARRRRGHGHGHGH.  @Monica

Did you try the refreshing-your-browser trick?

Yesterday evening I picked up the package that @joshuajbelanger sent to me - it was like Christmas in June!!!  Here are photos of the contents of the box...

1. White River Formation, Colorado (Eocene - Oligocene)

a)brontothere tooth

DSC02198.JPG.647e42c7fea8e703c67e1a1a685928e7.JPG

b)pieces of bone - I'm assuming also brontothere? (one is a vertebra - this is my first mammalian vertebra - woohoo!!!) ***Should I treat these bones with anything to ensure they don't flake/break?  I know that @Nimravis likes White River fossils so I'll tag him to come and have a look.

DSC02199.thumb.JPG.7e5dfcc51f28ae5ddb7ebef48ea45514.JPG

c)oreodont jaw (it arrived broken - I'll try to glue it back together)

DSC02197.thumb.JPG.a31ebf12894071f1ffb5e1c23a4f72eb.JPG

2. Green River Formation, Wyoming (Eocene)

fish - I'm assuming Knightia (this piece also arrived broken, but I've glued it back together - hopefully the glue sticks!)

DSC02192.thumb.JPG.5c0076b8b378651c02f1797e5936b2fe.JPG

3. Wheeler Shale Formation, Utah (Middle Cambrian)

trilobites - I'm assuming Elrathia kingii (the first piece also arrived broken, but I've already tried to glue it back together - hopefully it stays put!)

DSC02190.thumb.JPG.eb799b3b3c2f17fc86e5693eac85bfd5.JPGDSC02195.thumb.JPG.b2c8e4dc46d21668646869097ad97111.JPG

4. fossils from Kentucky (I'm assuming Ordovician - does anyone recognize what formation they might come from?)

brachiopods (perhaps Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia) ponderosa? @Tidgy's Dad and @Peat Burns and @Herb) and crinoid chunks

DSC02201.thumb.JPG.c4618540d7857688285e14abb25b89c4.JPG

More goodies to come...

5. Hawthorn Group, Peace River Formation, Florida (late Oligocene - early Miocene)

megalodon tooth

DSC02196.thumb.JPG.ed1439592bc1404cf1b97a6ef861a5b5.JPG

6. These came from construction sites, but a specific location wasn't given - I'm assuming Florida, though, based on how they look (maybe @MikeR can provide some assistance here)

a)HUGE and HEAVY bivalve (I'm thinking of using this as part of my weightlifting-at-home workout:P)

DSC02202.thumb.JPG.71acd66c456afefe72f7e3b5b7d6ab10.JPG

b)two gastropods and one bivalve in matrix

DSC02203.thumb.JPG.1b728c01e3125808503dad091d90c6ff.JPG

7. no location information was given, but I'm thinking these might also be Florida

two echinoids, an antler chunk (?), two pieces of turtle scute (?), two pieces of ivory

DSC02200.thumb.JPG.134cfe427bcb6e3f0d86bb3106301a39.JPG

8. some butvar (I'm surprised this stuff made it across the border to me, based on how it looks ;))

DSC02204.thumb.JPG.1a953838eee20b26c6744e4917e764b9.JPG

9. And finally, a little something from Doren.  This is my first conulariid, which is in itself a wonderful addition to my collection, but it also holds sentimental value for me because it's from Doren.  Thank you so much, @joshuajbelanger and @caldigger.

DSC02205.thumb.JPG.7182581d62b141980faf9fa58bc47f92.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

@Monica that's some really cool stuff! I love the White River fossils (and the shells too, but you already knew that :P)

Max Derème