A Blind Hunt Trade to honor Caldigger

joshuajbelanger

What an amazing parcel @Monica Superb! 

The conulariid is very moving. :)

Yes, they look like Vinlandostrophia ponderosa and I would guess at them being from the Grant Lake Limestone, judging by colour and preservation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

@Monica that's some really cool stuff! I love the White River fossils (and the shells too, but you already knew that :P)

It is indeed cool stuff!!! :wub:

41 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

What an amazing parcel @Monica Superb! 

The conulariid is very moving. :)

Yes, they look like Vinlandostrophia ponderosa and I would guess at them being from the Grant Lake Limestone, judging by colour and preservation. 

Thanks for the identification help, Adam! :fistbump:

It is an amazing package - such a great bunch of goodies!!! :wub:

2 hours ago, Monica said:

brachiopods (perhaps Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia) ponderosa

+1 for Vinlandostrophia ponderosa.  They hail from a number of different formations, so i won't venture a guess on which one without a location.  Nice specimens. :)

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

+1 for Vinlandostrophia ponderosa.  They hail from a number of different formations, so i won't venture a guess on which one without a location.  Nice specimens. :)

Thanks, Tony!  Perhaps I'll omit the formation and just keep the scientific name and the state on the label. :thumbsu:

trilobites - I'm assuming Elrathia kingii (the first piece also arrived broken, but I've already tried to glue it back together - hopefully it stays put!)

DSC02190.thumb.JPG.eb799b3b3c2f17fc86e5693eac85bfd5.JPGDSC02195.thumb.JPG.b2c8e4dc46d21668646869097ad97111.JPG

Great fossils Monica! The first trilo piece seems to be elrathia but the second bug appears to be an asaphiscus. Notice much fewer segments and the larger smooth pygidium.

10 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Great fossils Monica! The first trilo piece seems to be elrathia but the second bug appears to be an asaphiscus. Notice much fewer segments and the larger smooth pygidium.

Great catch!!!  It does look like Asaphiscus wheeleri - thank you so much!!! :i_am_so_happy:

3 hours ago, Monica said:

. fossils from Kentucky (I'm assuming Ordovician - does anyone recognize what formation they might come from?)

brachiopods (perhaps Vinlandostrophia (Platystrophia) ponderosa? @Tidgy's Dad and @Peat Burns and @Herb) and crinoid chunks

I agree with the ID of Vinlandostrophia ponderosa. I also agree with Adam’s guess of Grant Lake Formation. They look like what I find in the Grant Lake. 

I wonder if the crinoids are Ordovician though. They kind of look like Carboniferous(Mississippian) stuff to me. My best guess would be Borden Formation, but that’s just a guess. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Thanks, Tony!  Perhaps I'll omit the formation and just keep the scientific name and the state on the label. :thumbsu:

I think that's most prudent.  In my opinion, it would be better to have incomplete information rather than potentially incorrect information:).  Or if there's a reasonable guess involved, make sure it is clear on the label that it is a guess rather than verified info.

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Should I treat these bones with anything to ensure they don't flake/break? 

I do not put anything on my pieces and I have never had any fall apart.

4 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I agree with the ID of Vinlandostrophia ponderosa. I also agree with Adam’s guess of Grant Lake Formation. They look like what I find in the Grant Lake. 

I wonder if the crinoids are Ordovician though. They kind of look like Carboniferous(Mississippian) stuff to me. My best guess would be Borden Formation, but that’s just a guess. :headscratch:

The note states "inverts from Kentucky" (although admittedly I may not have properly matched up the list of items in the note with the actual specimens - I was a bit impatient while opening the box :blush:).  I'll wait for @joshuajbelanger to correct me if I was wrong in my matching.

Thanks for chiming in with identification help! :)

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I do not put anything on my pieces and I have never had any fall apart.

Okay - then I guess mine should be okay, too.

Do you by any chance recognize the vert - is it from a brontothere?

35 minutes ago, Monica said:

The note states "inverts from Kentucky" (although admittedly I may not have properly matched up the list of items in the note with the actual specimens - I was a bit impatient while opening the box :blush:).  I'll wait for @joshuajbelanger to correct me if I was wrong in my matching.

Thanks for chiming in with identification help! :)

You may still be correct in that they are from Kentucky. :D 

Ordovician in Kentucky is what is typically talked about because it is part of the Cincinnati Arch and so popular, but Kentucky has Silurian, Carboniferous, Devonian, and Ordovician rock. With a couple other ages sprinkled in. 

I bet they are from Kentucky. They just look more like crinoids I have found in the Carboniferous age rock around here instead of the Ordovician, but Joshua may come by and prove me wrong. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

53 minutes ago, Monica said:

Okay - then I guess mine should be okay, too.

Do you by any chance recognize the vert - is it from a brontothere?

It looks like it to me, here is one of mine. And as an FYI, I have had this piece for over 30 years and it is in perfect shape as it will be for the next 200 years that I will have it in my collection-lol.

79116672-0612-47D3-A045-1791430EA1F8.thumb.jpeg.c956fc370e02732672dea98c94d3ae47.jpeg

On 6/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, Monica said:

8. some butvar (I'm surprised this stuff made it across the border to me, based on how it looks ;))

DSC02204.thumb.JPG.1a953838eee20b26c6744e4917e764b9.JPG

Ha!  I wonder if they tested it and concluded it was not a drug, and sent it on...

Thanks @FossilNerd and @Nimravis!!! :)

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Ha!  I wonder if they tested it and concluded it was not a drug, and sent it on...

Hey Eric!  I don't know if they tested it or not - the tracking information states that it arrived at customs at 12:52pm and cleared customs at 1:04pm on the same day - they were very quick, so who knows? :shrug::)

21 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

You may still be correct in that they are from Kentucky. :D 

Ordovician in Kentucky is what is typically talked about because it is part of the Cincinnati Arch and so popular, but Kentucky has Silurian, Carboniferous, Devonian, and Ordovician rock. With a couple other ages sprinkled in. 

I bet they are from Kentucky. They just look more like crinoids I have found in the Carboniferous age rock around here instead of the Ordovician, but Joshua may come by and prove me wrong. ;) 

Alrighty.....First, you are correct.  My first trip out to Kentucky was a number of years ago, and I wasn't the most apt note taker.  I do know I hunted Carboniferous and Ordovician, mainly.  I am probably just confused on the Epoch, but the location was 100% Kentucky.  I did cross the state line into Indiana, but only gathered Archimedes screws and Blastoids.  Everything else from that trip was Kentucky.

Also, @Monica, I'm sorry several things broke.  It looks like the fractures were in pretty good spots though, and you've done a fine job putting it back together.  I don't have any bubble wrap, and only used the supplies on hand, due to the covid and all. I really am sorry-but, I would be extremely careful messing with that oreodont jaw.  It is incredibly fragile and that is the reason I left it in the matrix.  The fact that it arrived in the condition it did is a testament to those floating displays. That is actually the first oreodont jaw I found up here, and it is suiting that it broke up a little.  I sent Doren my first mammoth tooth I ever found, and that cannonball annihilated it, lol.  Doren would be shaking his head, I guess I just don't learn-I'm sure there is something allegorical in both of those pieces being broken....or....maybe I just suck at packing.

Anyway, my trip to Florissant was a smashing success. I found tons of insects and plants....but the find of the day goes to my wife, who managed to find a really cool spider!  The woman that runs the quarry was really cool and she hooked me up with a huge box of choice shale to crack open at my leisure.  Perhaps I'll post a trip report later.  If anyone ever has the opportunity to hunt the Florissant formation, DO IT!  It's extremely cheap, really chill, really social distanced, and really productive.

Hope everyone is enjoying their blind trades!

-J

• I found this Informative 4

11 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Alrighty.....First, you are correct.  My first trip out to Kentucky was a number of years ago, and I wasn't the most apt note taker.  I do know I hunted Carboniferous and Ordovician, mainly.  I am probably just confused on the Epoch, but the location was 100% Kentucky.  I did cross the state line into Indiana, but only gathered Archimedes screws and Blastoids.  Everything else from that trip was Kentucky.

Also, @Monica, I'm sorry several things broke.  It looks like the fractures were in pretty good spots though, and you've done a fine job putting it back together.  I don't have any bubble wrap, and only used the supplies on hand, due to the covid and all. I really am sorry-but, I would be extremely careful messing with that oreodont jaw.  It is incredibly fragile and that is the reason I left it in the matrix.  The fact that it arrived in the condition it did is a testament to those floating displays. That is actually the first oreodont jaw I found up here, and it is suiting that it broke up a little.  I sent Doren my first mammoth tooth I ever found, and that cannonball annihilated it, lol.  Doren would be shaking his head, I guess I just don't learn-I'm sure there is something allegorical in both of those pieces being broken....or....maybe I just suck at packing.

Anyway, my trip to Florissant was a smashing success. I found tons of insects and plants....but the find of the day goes to my wife, who managed to find a really cool spider!  The woman that runs the quarry was really cool and she hooked me up with a huge box of choice shale to crack open at my leisure.  Perhaps I'll post a trip report later.  If anyone ever has the opportunity to hunt the Florissant formation, DO IT!  It's extremely cheap, really chill, really social distanced, and really productive.

Hope everyone is enjoying their blind trades!

-J

Hey Joshua!

I'm glad to hear that your trip out to Florissant was successful!  Will you be showing the stuff that you and your wife found in the "Fossil Trips" section of the forum?  I'm sure we'd all love to see your treasures - I know I would!

Re: the broken fish and trilobite plates - they are securely glued so there's no need to worry about them.  As for the oreodont jaw - I'll see if I can perhaps glue back some of the larger chunks, but if it doesn't work, then no worries - before your package arrived, the only piece of White River material I had was actually a small piece of oreodont jaw with 1.5 teeth in it (it was a gift from my student teacher last year), so the one in the package breaking is not the end of the world :)  Speaking of White River fossils - I think the brontothere tooth, vertebra, and bones are probably my favourite items that you found and sent me.  They will look very nice together in my display - I'll send photos once I get my act together and put them in their correct place in my fossil cabinet.  And the conulariid from Doren is incredibly special - thank you once again for that piece.

I echo Joshua in hoping that everyone else is having fun with their "blind hunt trade" - I am super-pumped about my new fossils, and I hope you all are, too!

Monica

On 2020-06-20 at 12:22 PM, Monica said:

DSC02195.thumb.JPG.b2c8e4dc46d21668646869097ad97111.JPG

I would say this one is Asaphiscus wheeleri:trilosurprise:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 hours ago, Kane said:

I would say this one is Asaphiscus wheeleri:trilosurprise:

I'll admit that I didn't look closely at the trilobites from Utah because I assumed they would be Elrathia kingii (since that seems to be the most common species from there), but I'm happy that my fellow forum members pointed out my error so I can label this specimen properly - thanks, Kane! :fistbump:

OK, here is what mattbsharks sent me: Pennsylvanian plants from the North Attleboro site in Massachusetts - Rhode Island Formation (same as Cory's Lane RI, correct me if I'm wrong). Apparently that area was part of the Avalonia Terrane (microcontinent).  I gather these are mostly Neuropteris sp. and one little Sphenophyllum whorl (in first closeup shot)..?

Difficult to photograph as they're mostly black on black.. the slight gloss or pyrite color helps a bit for the low-relief ones.

Thanks again Matt!

fromMattB (shr).jpg

5ef29e58d5438_DSC_0214shrcro.thumb.jpg.c24028b03636f081d242326efac60bcf.jpg5ef29e5d057a1_DSC_0217shr.thumb.jpg.45b97cad06097b40b8da57d7e0578b1f.jpg

5ef29fa3387ca_DSC_0210shr.thumb.jpg.d49800d97697a736dab42ab1af210f40.jpg

5ef29f76c9a3c_DSC_0212croshr.thumb.jpg.f67c204f596ccc1fd69eb7cd28cf07f2.jpg

5ef29fb9ba36b_DSC_0209shrstit.thumb.jpg.16270e66602ac375c68ccd6c696e78aa.jpg

5ef29fc831acf_DSC_0208shr.thumb.jpg.e41d02e05f2d3319b48d01694f01661d.jpg

5ef2a00132d58_DSC_0205shr.thumb.jpg.658c83cd6c0f1e7c3eafd21acc5149de.jpg5ef2a0042f5f9_DSC_0206shr.jpg.df409cc5a56dec998ff24b26fa6f27d5.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Just found this thread. Sorry to hear about Caldigger :( Wonder if I was one of last to trade with him. We did a trade in late Feb / early Mar. Posted some jaw pieces and he jumped at them. Sent me some new to me trilobites :)

I would be willing to join. Only local stuff though is miocene leaves.

Thanks so much to @Max-fossils for a wonderful array of fossils, I have many more to show but here is a sneaky pea^_^

62E68648-7F3E-46BA-8000-8D7B573A9CEA.jpeg

6205E51A-CC84-4B82-B49E-88648F3CEACA.jpeg

381F95F8-BBA0-4F45-8D77-7440CE2C275D.jpeg

7D6EA6DB-1DCC-44AE-8154-1C3BFF915C5A.jpeg

D9E16713-C806-4001-8B96-C97F792E955F.jpeg

B7943BBB-B98C-4A20-8D3C-40AE52DA7141.jpeg

D0504DF2-484E-4319-8426-90BB3D577E0F.jpeg

8FDF09CB-6D35-4064-8252-EBF8F89B3EAD.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

@will stevenson glad you're enjoying the fossils I sent you! What do you think of the mammoth ivory piece by the way? I think that one was pretty cool, it's definitely one of the best pieces I've found on the Zandmotor :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils