Hey y'all, just got back from a trip to the NSR. Haven't been in a while, so it was nice to get back and find some neat stuff. I've only been 4-5 times and I finally found a sizeable vert chunk. I also found some large fish bones which I believe to be from xiphactinus. I also found what's probably a rock, but I grabbed it in case it was some worked piece of stone. I have no knowledge whatsoever on arrowheads and artifacts so someone else can be the judge of that.

IMG_5879.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

IMG_5877.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

IMG_5878.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

Good to see your finds! I'm heading up there on Friday so it's good to see some of the things to keep an eye out for! I've only been up there twice and really want to find a mosasaur tooth and vert. 

Not sure about the item you've labeled "quarter", but I'm pretty darn sure the "artifact" is in fact an artifact.  Whether finished or not, I cannot say, but given that it shows clear opposing concave cleavage on opposite sides indicates that it has been worked by native residents.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, @grandpa! That's my first artifact then. I've been on the lookout for them, but it's hard for me to look for fossils and rock-type objects at the same time. I suppose I'll get better as my eyes learn what to look for. From what I've seen, artifacts from NSR are between 2,000-10,000 years old?

@JamieLynn, I hope you had a successful hunt today! Mosasaur teeth have got to be the coolest finds from NSR

Thanks, @BudB. It was a great day for hunting!

On 5/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, JamieLynn said:

Good to see your finds! I'm heading up there on Friday so it's good to see some of the things to keep an eye out for! I've only been up there twice and really want to find a mosasaur tooth and vert. 

Be careful,  river supposed to go up high as 18 feet on on Saturday, 5/23 near Cooper,  although upstream will drain quickly once rain stops.  

Yes, be careful! Thank you, @Creek - Don for pointing that out. Always check the water level: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fwd&gage=cppt2

12 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Be careful,  river supposed to go up high as 18 feet on on Saturday, 5/23 near Cooper,  although upstream will drain quickly once rain stops.  

Went out yesterday and river was perfectly low but the spot I went to had already been picked over by the time i go there. It's a 5 hour drive for me to get there and even though I left early, I was too late. Found a few decent things but no mosasaur verts or teeth. :(  Thanks for the water warnings though! 

11 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Went out yesterday and river was perfectly low but the spot I went to had already been picked over by the time i go there. It's a 5 hour drive for me to get there and even though I left early, I was too late. Found a few decent things but no mosasaur verts or teeth. :(  Thanks for the water warnings though! 

That's too bad!  Better luck next time.  NSR is hit and miss type of place. I sometimes find multiple verts and other times don't find anything at all.  Also, get picked over a lot.   You might try your luck downstream later in the summer.  

On 5/22/2020 at 10:36 PM, Creek - Don said:

How quickly does the upper river drain? I was there Wednesday, just four days after the 17 foot crest downstream Saturday, and it had obviously already been low long enough at FM2990 that many people had already visited it since the crest. I was expecting lots of new stuff to be there after the new water, but it was plain that it had already been picked over.

Hi BudB, 

They drain very quickly after a heavy rain.  Bridge under FM 34 near Gober is about foot deep while bridge near FM 38 near Ben Franklin is still about 5 foot plus.   I suppose there are bigger creeks drain down there.  Also been to NSR after a heavy rain, but didn't find anything either.  Best advice is look for fossils near large rock debris.  Sometimes I do find bones trapped between the rocks.    As for why fossils are not there :s_confused:,  we'll have to wait for the mother nature to erode them out of sediments in due time.  

River does drain pretty quick towards Gober and Ladonia. I was out the next morning after that heavy rain near Ladonia. I wasn't even there first. Couldn't get to a few areas still becuase of the water.

River is heavily picked right now. With the weather being nice and Corvid. You still can find some stuff but you have to get away from where people have easy access. I spend 5-6 hours at a time. Sometimes less, like this morning when it started raining. I think they are there within all the gravel build ups. As Creek-Don said, we need mother natures help. 

I miss NSR. The site was so productive because floods would rip up inches of the river bed and banks during major floods. I found my best pieces wading in a foot or two of clear water. I bought over the calf waterproof “snake boots” to use when the slack water channels were frozen over in the winter. Otherwise I used fishing boots with good tread and removable studs that could survive being wet; they had no cardboard foot beds like some cheap shoes. I also used a cut down pool cue to probe the murky depths and help me decide if the deep mud would trap me. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.