Some fossils have finally made it into the living room.

Ludwigia

Not too long ago I purchased a very nice Campanile giganteum gastropod, something I had been wanting for a long time, and shortly thereafter I also acquired an Encrinus liliformiis crinoid, also a long-held wish from me. My loving wife liked these so much that she suggested herself that I place them in a prominent place in the living room. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased with this new development, not only because of the fact that I was starting to run out of space for new acquirements in my display room. Since there was also an extra shelf underneath the place next to the TV we had chosen for these fossils, she even came up with the suggestion that I could put a few more on it. So without further ado I went about selecting some of my favorites which I thought to be passing for the ensemble. I found none of these myself, although they are either gifts or acquirements from friends and colleagues who gave them to me in raw condition for preparation. They are from left to right: Procerites hodsoni, Scyphocrinus elegans, Stephanoceras humphriesianum, Cockerellites liops, and Coroniceras rotiforme.

5ec5a9cce6efe_WohnzimmerSchrank.thumb.jpg.e6f79a6e334fe265a6a14b0c9eaf628c.jpg

• I found this Informative 22

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Wow stunning and I love the Procerites hodsoni,  some top drawer fossils here.  :wub:

14 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

My loving wife liked these so much that she suggested herself that I place them in a prominent place in the living room.

Hold on to that woman forever! 

Lovely fossils, by the way. :wub:

• I found this Informative 2

17 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow stunning and I love the Procerites hodsoni,  some top drawer fossils here.  :wub:

I agree and they're much too good for even the top drawer :)

6 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Lovely fossils, by the way. :wub:

I plan to as long as she agrees :)

• I found this Informative 2

All of those fossils are real beauties Roger, but the Campanile is awesome!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Roger, I totally agree with all the above comments, esp. the comment that you should (like I've advised @Bobby Ricoin the past, and @thelivingdead531 just said) :

3 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

But, my dear friend, I have to admonish you majorly!  When she said:

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I could put a few more on it

without a beat you should have replied:  "Great idea! I'll get on that right away and see what I can buy that would be suitable to add to these quality examples."  And, "BTW, those drawers beneath would be ideal for housing similar artworks of equal quality and complementary theme.  I'll start shopping for those as well.  Thank you my everlasting love!"  :D

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome display Roger! I keep trying to convince my lovely wife that I need to display some fossils in a prominent place somewhere around the house. I have yet to do so. In my fossil room they stay. Glad you succeeded where I failed! :heartylaugh:

BTW... A Campanile giganteum is on my ever growing bucket list. That one is a real beauty! :wub::envy: 

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I've seen those Campanile snails before and it always surprises me that such a thing can be had! I know how hard it is to acquire a nice-sized crinoid like that one, so if that's any indication...

Nice display overall! All my big fossils go on top of shelves, drawer units, etc simply because they can't fit inside the drawers. It could stand to be tidier, like your place, though. ^_^

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for your comments everyone. I picked up the Campanile personally from a collector in Switzerland who had been in the "Caves" many years ago where he had acquired it. The day after I returned to Germany the border was closed because of Covid. Talk about luck!

• I found this Informative 4

That gastropod is huge! How heavy is it? Must be a fair bit with all the matrix too. Very cool.

6 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

That gastropod is huge! How heavy is it? Must be a fair bit with all the matrix too. Very cool.

I never weighed it, but I would estimate about 30 kilos. Of course, most of that is matrix.