Manatee teeth?

Reebs

Howdy, 

I find these sifting at Venice beach. Are they worn down/broken wave worn pieces of manatee teeth and enamel? Some of them remind me of a very worn down half of an image A. from @Harry Pristis photo that was previously shared on the forum.  I think they are so beautiful and I can tell it’s enamel but I never knew from what. 

116FEF82-2E37-4F30-B226-6832DE68D193.jpeg

F9F7ACCA-394C-43E3-8D4C-49BA6BD66D4D.jpeg

E4E04490-9B9F-4FED-8A04-CFA524DC4F4C.jpeg

BD423C64-E7F9-4DBA-BB9E-5C18C3CE7168.png

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

If you're going to use my image for illustration, Reebs, I'd appreciate a citation.

Yikes.  I am soo super embarrassed. I guess it’s the first time Ive ever posted someones image and I definitely failed to think. :( With all due respect I apologize. It won’t happen again. 

• I found this Informative 5

Here are some examples from your photo that I think are bits of mastodont teeth 

20200520_210222.thumb.jpg.0f621e48f353ae5bc5c06fe46557df75.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

7 minutes ago, Reebs said:

@Peat Burns that is super cool!! thank you. 

No problem.  They are very cool. The enamel in cross section has sort of a "pearlescent" look.  I always pick them up when I see them.

Yes the cross sections look beautiful, the colors are insane. I would like to work some of them into jewelry pieces.  That pile is a result of a LOT of beach sifting :)  and I LOVE when I find them. Same as you, when I see em’ they ALWAYS go into the treasure pouch @Peat Burns

• I found this Informative 1

I agree about various elephant tooth frags - I think these are mostly fragments of thick-enameled mastodon/gomphothere teeth

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:55 PM, Harry Pristis said:

If you're going to use my image for illustration, Reebs, I'd appreciate a citation.

Harry,

As you well know, I leverage your photo and pictures frequently, more frequently than most. I truly appreciate your contributions to this forum, the internet and paleontology in general. It is my form of respect for your knowledge and craftsmanship. I would not do it unless I thought I have your implicit approval.

Whenever I use a photo, I try to attribute its creation to you by adding a from @Harry Pristis. If a different citation is appropriate, please let me know and I'll do that..  Thanks for all you do

Jack

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"