musicnfossils

Hey all, I found one tooth that’s certainly from a hadrosaur a while back, and I found this other one sitting right beside it but it’s pretty funky looking. Hoping you could tell me if it’s a hadrosaur tooth as well or just a suspicious rock. (Bottom one in the pic with the measuring tape) Thanks! 

729D1FF0-469F-409D-A047-F0CBED4ECE6A.jpeg

8D017A46-ABD7-4D1C-AEBD-5885510B4782.jpeg

E3F252B9-72E6-4424-84DF-FA180E7863D4.jpeg

I think, but can you take some closer straight in photo looking at crown and size.  Avoid oblique angled photos when you are looking for IDs.  Straight in shots of all sides are the best.

• I found this Informative 2

Worn down trike?

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

I think, but can you take some closer straight in photo looking at crown and size.  Avoid oblique angled photos when you are looking for IDs.  Straight in shots of all sides are the best.

I should know that by know :DOH: apologies. Will post better pictures when I get home from work. 

11 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Worn down trike?

Looks pretty worn yeah, but also like it just didn’t preserve well. It also has an obsidian-like shine that the other one doesn’t have at all. If it is a tooth even. 

Oh wait, I was looking at the bottom of the first pic.  Def need end-on pics for a better idea, but are you sure your other tooth is Hadro?  Hadrosaurs had tooth batteries, and the single elements are very tall and narrow.  It looks a lot more like a worn trike tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Top tooth looks like a Hadrosaur, but not sure about the second.

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

Oh wait, I was looking at the bottom of the first pic.  Def need end-on pics for a better idea, but are you sure your other tooth is Hadro?  Hadrosaurs had tooth batteries, and the single elements are very tall and narrow.  It looks a lot more like a worn trike tooth.

Oh I’m sorry I don’t know what a trike is, unless that’s a term for ceratopsians or something. But no, I’m never TOTALLY sure of any identification I make to be honest, I just looked at photos of hadrosaur teeth from Royal Tyrrell and other sources & decided that larger one must be a broken and worn hadrosaur tooth because of the shape of the front of it. I’m fairly new to fossil collecting but I’m trying :trex: Here are some better photos of the smaller specimen, the lower one in the photo with the measuring tape. I’ll do a follow up post with photos of the other. 

1EB84BB9-9D85-4228-B930-7C447AEEEC6B.jpeg

D582BB63-2CEC-40D7-907B-F93EDBCD52CD.jpeg

F1D33133-216C-42D4-90BE-7D22C0BC54D7.jpeg

360ECA39-CEE2-49E0-B2E4-63110DB02F8D.jpeg

89ADA7BF-DC51-4A96-A739-1CC4D9F9B10F.jpeg

This was Royal Tyrrell’s photo of a hadrosaur tooth, to me it looked like the larger one I found is a more broken version of this. The texture on the side of the tooth as well as the front shape both seem to match. If I’m wrong I’m happy to be corrected though! 

e; I should probably mention, if it helps at all, that both teeth share the exact same texture, and when I found them they were so close they were nearly touching one another. 

56A66C33-CD63-4911-B952-AEBDC8C49BB1.png

The larger one is 100% hadrosaur.  I'm not sure if the top of the crown has just snapped off or if it's worn down through feeding wear. 

Where was it found?  If you know the formation and it's Hell Creek/Lance Formation, it's an Edmontosaurus tooth.  If it's from elsewhere I think the best you can say is hadrosaur.  The smaller tooth could be a hadrosaur too, but it looks a bit beaten up and it's hard to tell from the pics.

9 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

Oh I’m sorry I don’t know what a trike is, unless that’s a term for ceratopsians or something. But no, I’m never TOTALLY sure of any identification I make to be honest, I just looked at photos of hadrosaur teeth from Royal Tyrrell and other sources & decided that larger one must be a broken and worn hadrosaur tooth because of the shape of the front of it. I’m fairly new to fossil collecting but I’m trying :trex: Here are some better photos of the smaller specimen, the lower one in the photo with the measuring tape. I’ll do a follow up post with photos of the other. 

OK I see it now, in the first pic it looked like it had a partial root angling off. I guess it was just the camera angle. I   Oh, trike - triceratops 

7 hours ago, DinoFossilsUK said:

The larger one is 100% hadrosaur.  I'm not sure if the top of the crown has just snapped off or if it's worn down through feeding wear. 

Where was it found?  If you know the formation and it's Hell Creek/Lance Formation, it's an Edmontosaurus tooth.  If it's from elsewhere I think the best you can say is hadrosaur.  The smaller tooth could be a hadrosaur too, but it looks a bit beaten up and it's hard to tell from the pics.

These teeth were found in southern Alberta, private land some distance from Dinosaur park. Lots of hadrosaur material comes from that formation.