What fossil do you regret buying ?

Yoda

There's nothing major I regret.

Only one I can think of is an Albertosaurus tooth tip when I first started collecting. Albertosaurus was my fav dino at the time but teeth were out of my price range.

I later got a full Alberto tooth for a very good price in a sale making the tip quite redundant. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

In my case I doubt they would have known what they were looking at... it was certainly not an obvious thing like a skeleton. I can just picture them receiving my fossil (to them nothing more than a slab of clayish rock with a lump on it!) and maybe their dogs detected pot on it (from the seller), and they had to break it apart to see what it contained. Having destroyed it, would they have bothered to send it on to me, or just toss it in the trash?

But your comments have me wondering just how 'above board' all of our postal and customs workers operate. I think ours over here in this part of the world are generally pretty good, and my only problem was with that one fossil that never arrived (if it was even them), but in other parts of the world it sounds like a big gamble to ship things internationally. Glad your friend's cases were resolved, anyway.

Yeah, I think the worst thing is - we will never truly know what happened to our fossils

My first and best Rex tooth was sent to my neighbor! Thank goodness my neighbor knows of my fossils and correctly guessed it was mine

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 2020-05-25 at 2:30 AM, Masp said:

2.) Purchased a partial Brachiosaurus femur with Allosaurus bite marks, found out it’s an

indeterminate species, either a sauropod or stegosaur femur with bug marks. Now don’t

get me wrong the piece is pretty cool, but was a very expensive purchase and I was  
      extremely disappointed. 

Still sounds like an awesome fossil! Even though it wasn’t a Brachiosaurus femur.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Yeah, I think the worst thing is - we will never truly know what happened to our fossils

My first and best Rex tooth was sent to my neighbor! Thank goodness my neighbor knows of my fossils and correctly guessed it was mine

That's another thing: our mail deliverer has put our mail in the neighbor's box more than once! But I think I asked at the PO and they said they had not seen the package I described, so I don't think it even arrived there.

7 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Still sounds like an awesome fossil! Even though it wasn’t a Brachiosaurus femur.

Thank you! Indeed it’s a interesting piece and I still appreciate the fossil, just wish I didn’t break the bank for it 

I personally regret some Burmese amber I bought when I was interested in insects before I knew of the situation regarding that topic, and now I avoid it due to the situation regarding it.

1 hour ago, Rhiguita said:

I personally regret some Burmese amber I bought when I was interested in insects before I knew of the situation regarding that topic, and now I avoid it due to the situation regarding it.

What is the situation?

46 minutes ago, aplomado said:

What is the situation?

Link

Link

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ