Petrified Wood SCORE!

jnicholes

So, me and my family bought a house. We are moving into it in June or July.

While exploring the backyard and measuring for a garden, I scored a big fossil find. 5 LARGE pieces of petrified wood. Larger than I have ever found so far. They were partially buried in a spot where I was going to put some flowers.

Legally, I can't take them until the deal closes, which we are certain will happen before we move in.

As soon as the deal closes and I can get my hands on them, then I will post pictures.

Apologies for keeping everyone waiting for the photos.

Jared

• I found this Informative 1

That is so cool. But curious, what do you mean by large? Do you have a whole tree buried back there (which would be awesome)?

2 minutes ago, Rhinofly said:

That is so cool. But curious, what do you mean by large? Do you have a whole tree buried back there (which would be awesome)?

About four 5 pound pieces.

3 hours ago, jnicholes said:

To me, that is a score.

Sounds like a score to me! I hope the deal goes through for you and we can see pictures soon! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Score!

I know a house in California that if I could ever buy I'd have to rip the pool out as I happen to know there's a log under it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update. The sale closes in 7 days. We are 99.99 percent done with the paperwork. Its almost official.

As soon as we find out if we get the house, I will get the pictures as promised.

Apologies for delay. Computer error.

Second piece. This one has a LOT of detail.

Screenshot_20200606-152755.png

Those are really neat! I wish someone had left behind fossils when we bought our house! We got a chewed up plastic dog house and baby toys instead. :DOH:

One thing that I have learned working in a museum in Wyoming is that a LOT of people buy a house and inherit a bunch of garden rocks with the house.  We see it so much.  There are so many rock hounds in the area and when they sell the house or die, a lot of the rocks just stay put.  

We got a great dining room table, some nice carpets, a table saw and a ladder with the house I bought.  Not many rocks.  But whoever buys the house when I am done with it will win big.  

16 hours ago, jpc said:

We got a great dining room table, some nice carpets, a table saw and a ladder with the house I bought.  Not many rocks.  But whoever buys the house when I am done with it will win big.  

When we moved from our last place I had the fossil club come and pick what they wanted. They ended up making 3 trips with the pickup lol. Kept asking "are you sure we can have this". Took a number of times saying "if it's left in the yard its yours" before they quit asking. I had already high grades before I called them.

Jnicholes, great pieces!!

Update:

It looks like the sale will close on Friday. As soon as the papers are signed, the fossils will officially be mine.