Emthegem

Gorgeous Orthoconic Nautiloids (Toronto/Ordovician-Georgian bay formation))

Tidgy's Dad

Nice finds.:)

All Treptoceras crebriseptum, do you think? 

Emthegem
1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds.:)

All Treptoceras crebriseptum, do you think? 

I'd say that looks about right to me! Honestly, I don't know many of the Latin names, I just call them all orthoonic nautiloids and leave it at that haha

Wrangellian

Nice ones! I'd like to see your bivalves and Tentaculites also.

Ludwigia
7 hours ago, Emthegem said:

Probably the nicest one in my collection at this moment, found almost completely by fluke when I hit a rock with my pick and this bad boy showed up :)

Once you get a feel for the right kind of rock, then your pick hammer strikes wouldn't be so flukey any more, but rather deliberate.

7 hours ago, Emthegem said:

These last couple would be way nicer, if only I could find a way to get it out of the rock matrix without completely destroying the specimen :/ ...

You should get in touch with @Malcolmt in Mississauga. I think he might be willing to show you the ropes.

Jeffrey P

Very nice specimens! Congratulations. The nautiloids of the Georgia Bay Formation have always impressed me. Someday I'll have to get up there. 

Emthegem
10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Okay will definitely do some more posts then in coming time, I have to gather them all up and start practicing my photography skills haha

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Very nice specimens! Congratulations. The nautiloids of the Georgia Bay Formation have always impressed me. Someday I'll have to get up there. 

Thanks! Yes I still get awestruck every time I find a big intact Nautiloids, it just baffles me that there are all these amazing fossils right under our noses in the middle of the bustling city and all it takes is an afternoon, a hammer and some good eyes!

Emthegem
7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Once you get a feel for the right kind of rock, then your pick hammer strikes wouldn't be so flukey any more, but rather deliberate.

You should get in touch with @Malcolmt in Mississauga. I think he might be willing to show you the ropes.

Okay good advice, thanks! I've started to get the hang of the right kind of rock to look for, but this one still caught me by surprise - definitely didn't think it was going to be that complete and split perfectly down the middle.

FossilNerd

Good to see that you stopped back in to see us! Welcome back, and awesome finds. :) 

Emthegem
On 2020-05-23 at 1:28 AM, Wrangellian said:

Okay I might follow this post up soon with some of the other nice stuff I've found since the end of exam season. Coming soon!

Monica

Hey Em - nice nautiloids! 

Re: your possible Tentaculites - it's probably Cornulites flexuosus since this species is most definitely found here in the Toronto area and I'm not sure if Tentaculites is.  And I'm sure we'd all love to have a look at it, regardless of what its scientific name is :popcorn: