Help in ID of unusual shaped fossil

Emthegem

Hello,

I recently cracked open a rock to find one the most pristine and unusually shaped fossils I've seen in a looong time. I predict it might be the edge of a bivalve shell poking out, but I wanted to know what others might have to say about this. It was found in the rock deposits of the rivers in Toronto, Canada, and is part of the Georgian bay formation. Also, only the bottom half seems to be completely crystallized and is translucent, whereas the top is relatively opaque:

20200522_204049.thumb.jpg.059f154718366ff88a4cbba764912d73.jpg20200522_204131.thumb.jpg.3115b33c8ea2f102dc1ed13c4c2aecb2.jpg20200522_204146.thumb.jpg.fb6f71d162b2a5e02ca608c88a8f53d1.jpg

I am somewhat worried about totally ruining the fossil if I try to further crack into the matrix, as it is Ordovician era rock which is very hard and often results in the destruction of the specimen when trying to clean up the fossils. Sorry for not providing much to go off of :s_cry:.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

-Em

-

Hello, Em, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Yes, looks like a bivalve to me.

@Monica, what say ye? 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, Em, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Yes, looks like a bivalve to me.

@Monica, what say ye? 

Thank you! What do you suppose I do with it, attempt to excavate or leave it? I would really love to uncover it but I fear it will be destroyed if I try....

-

Just now, Emthegem said:

Thank you! What do you suppose I do with it, attempt to excavate or leave it? I would really love to uncover it but I fear it will be destroyed if I try....

I have some Georgian Bay specimens myself and I wouldn't try mucking about with them, I don't think. 

Monica collects it herself, so when she pops in, she may have some more local knowledge and advice.  

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Emthegem That is definitely a bivalve with both valves intact, although I'm not sure which species. The part which is poking out is the crystallized "steinkern", or internal cast. The dark layer surrounding it is the shell, which is also calcified. The only way to get it out of this extremely hard matrix with hammer and chisel would be a "lucky split", but the chances are only 50/50 that it'll come out intact and even then, the shell will probably come off in the matrix, since the separating layer appears to be between steinkern and matrix. The only good chance of safe removal would be to find someone with pneumatic tools.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

18 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@Emthegem That is definitely a bivalve with both valves intact, although I'm not sure which species. The part which is poking out is the crystallized "steinkern", or internal cast. The dark layer surrounding it is the shell, which is also calcified. The only way to get it out of this extremely hard matrix with hammer and chisel would be a "lucky split", but the chances are only 50/50 that it'll come out intact and even then, the shell will probably come off in the matrix, since the separating layer appears to be between steinkern and matrix. The only good chance of safe removal would be to find someone with pneumatic tools.

Okay that's some really good information, I think I will keep it until I come across someone that can unearth it from the matrix then :dinothumb: Thanks a ton!

• I found this Informative 1

-

8 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice find, Em! :dinothumb:

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it out of the rock someday

-