Sheryl Belzile

We live approx. 3kms from the Pipestone Creek bone bed. I volunteer in the lab at the museum once in a while. My grandkids and I were snooping around in our rock pile (we built on our acreage in 2001), that we piled up as we did the new build and cleaned up the yard. We found this weird rock. I left a message with Derek and emailed a couple of pics to him as well. Have not heard from anyone as yet. Just thought that I would share and ask what this is? It weighs between 16 and 17 pounds and is approx. 24cm long.

dino egg pic resized.JPG

Tis huge, but i think it is a septarian concretion. 

Nice find. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for responding. Should we break it open or should I take it over to our dinosaur museum when we open back up?

4 hours ago, Sheryl Belzile said:

Thanks for responding. Should we break it open or should I take it over to our dinosaur museum when we open back up?

Take a look at these pics and then you can decide for yourself.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Nice septarian nodule.   

I kind of like it the way it is.  

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Well, now this whole family definitely wants to "see" inside it. I think that we are now "hooked" and we will never look at our yard in the same way again. lol! Thank you all for the info.

Very nice septarian. Keep it as is. The inside looks pretty much like the outside, and unless you can find a diamond-bladed saw big enough to cut it, it's not worth it. It will break into fragments as defined by the lines you see on the surface. In other words you'll just end up with a bunch of smaller rocks that don't look as cool.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 months later...
On 25/05/2020 at 4:02 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Very nice septarian. Keep it as is. The inside looks pretty much like the outside, and unless you can find a diamond-bladed saw big enough to cut it, it's not worth it. It will break into fragments as defined by the lines you see on the surface. In other words you'll just end up with a bunch of smaller rocks that don't look as cool.

To those folks who said to not cut it open, I say to you, eat your heart out. You are just jealous. We got a masonry outfit to cut it open for us a couple of days ago and our son in law did some work to one half. 

dino egg -14.jpeg

dino egg -11.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice -- now you know why I said cut it instead of crack it. The inside of many rocks looks much cooler than the weathered outside.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Our son in law is a machinist and he is a "rock hound" lol, too. He knew exactly what to do with the sanding disks and polish. I took the unfinished half (which is going to my other daughter) to the lab at our dinosaur museum to show it off, but everyone was out at the bone bed for the last "Paleontologist for a day" for the summer. Summer staff, Robyn took pictures though. Thank you to all for answering my query. We will be looking at our field rocks differently from now on, for sure.

Edited by Sheryl Belzile